The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:33:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: twitter  (Read 14169 times)
txavi8or
Rookie

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »

Anbody finding a good use for twitter?  Is the the right board for such a mundane subject?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:44:29 PM »

Absolutely.

I have had nothing but disdain for Twitter (and users) for quite a while, but that's my own bias. It is clear that, for celebrities and people of followable popularity it is powerful, but I've not heard of anything that made sense for the normal human.

Until this: I think you need to get a hold of The Whuffie Factor (http://www.amazon.com/Whuffie-Factor-Social-Networks-Business/dp/0307409503/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245818589&sr=8-1) - it describes a lot of uses for this sort of thing.

The most significant thing that turned my head was for my underwear folks to use twitter for votes about new styles... so many votes, we build that style and such. I haven't gotten my arms completely around it, but I think there's some good stuff in there.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:59:40 PM »

ah coincidental.
I just started using twitter, because it is more stream of consciousness oriented, plus it forces brevity which is a tough one for me... lol

I agree with perk though. People who have a "following" like celebs and such, it makes perfect sense. "hey I just shit in Paris Hiltons bed!"
For me though, I really dont get it. But I have the need to try it for some reason.
I tend to be an info hub with my friends and such. None of my friends however use twitter. So I have facebook pulling my twitter feed now. I think it will be interesting to see if I really am a hub.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 04:16:59 AM »

I agree with perk though. People who have a "following" like celebs and such, it makes perfect sense. "hey I just shit in Paris Hiltons bed!"
Ditto

for me : twitter = web IRC

what's up?
txavi8or
Rookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 05:56:32 AM »

Interesting. 

I hadn't thought about it much until the recent Iran thing and watching the feeds from twitter.  I am also an active investor and am finding feeds from a variety of stock watchers.  Hell, I remember when personal computers were only for games.  The polling aspect Ed mentioned is very reasonable, especially if you want a quick answer.

If anyone wants to play with it, I am txavi8or, twitter.com/txavi8or.

Cheers,
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 08:12:38 AM »

When we were in Portugal Fanto told me that it's become an invaluable tool for communicating with their clients, Perk.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 08:19:23 AM »

Yes, Fanto is using it like a crazy sumbitch - and not just for client comms, he's got some erm, other campaigns running night and day. Quite interesting, haven't taken the time to call him and get an update.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 08:33:38 AM »

twitter.com/braindonkey
i added you tx

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:49:54 AM »

Oh alright alright. twitter.com/perkiset. Haven't posted since December 20th. I'll follow you both.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:52:45 AM »

lol.

the on thing I have figured out is. its is more interesting to post what you are thinking, than what you are doing.

doing is usually boring, especially with us, where it is programming or programming or eating or hanging with the family.
your euro trip would have been good though.

but if you post thoughts and findings, people might find it more interesting. get a following, then spam the helll out of it.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 08:56:09 AM »

...then spam the helll out of it.

But to what end? I see the possibilities for some of my retail positions, but the vast majority, (hell, virtually 100%) of my clients are too old or CGAS about Twitter. Please please, I'm not being sarcastic. To what profitable end are you seeing this spammage?

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 09:10:56 AM »

OK, WTF. I've clicked "follow" on both you and TX twice, no dice. Do I have to do something magic here?

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 09:35:45 AM »

i guess i see it a bit different. For us it can be lead generation. (and frankly for your client work side, same thing)

by getting people interested, even in a cursory manner, in what I am blabbering about, when I drop a
"we just closed a lead gen campaign with a 30% A-level-lead response rate"
that might turn some heads and get us work.
even 1 result from that, and it was well worth it.

for B2C, im not so sure, except, as a way to announce new products or ask for guidance of what should be added.
However, there may be a more "secondary" reason. 1 rule of marketing is that if you stay in your customer's face, they will chose you when time comes. So maybe just by the fact of being noisy, might create a higher customer retention level?

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »

OK, WTF. I've clicked "follow" on both you and TX twice, no dice. Do I have to do something magic here?

ah, thats because I banned you.

hmm. not sure. maybe its a lag thing. everything seems to run on a delay there.

but really the button should turns right to a "stop following" button and there should be a checkmark that says "following" (or something like that).

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »

@ retention and in their face: we eblast with fantastic results once a week on most clients of that ilk. It's fantastic, and since I control/provide for all of it, there's virtually no cost.

I'm going to have to figure out what the volume of our clients is there, and what it would take to get them to follow us - we're still trying to work through our Facebook structures for clients, and getting people to be fans. Interestingly, Royal Caribbean just blasted the world today, asking everyone to be a fan. There's a lot of movement in that space - it's certainly got my attention.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript