The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 10:23:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This is what I'm talking about... goodbye AT&T!  (Read 1283 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:06:31 PM »

http://www.cultofmac.com/as-att-disquiet-grows-more-consider-using-ipod-touch-skype-as-full-time-phone/18142

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:48:47 PM »

I had this idea and actually tried it out first time back in 2003 (or somewhere around there, can't remember anymore). I had HP's PDA that had WIFI and Skype. The problem still is that 1) it doesn't survive when you leave the area of wifi coverage, 2) it doesn't know how to hop wifi connections while talking, 3) quality is very much depended on the connection quality which in city can change from utter crap to quite good.

But if you carry iPod Touch with you anyway and spend 95% of your time in the city because you live there, well, why the fuck not Cheesy The biggest problem is that wifi connection hop.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »

no you miss the hot point: the MiFi. I have one now from Sprint and the thing frickin' rocks. It's a mobile hot spot, so your phone is in WiFi mode all the time.

You get way better battery time and I find that the MiFi is better at switching cells than the phone. So when I'm listening to streaming radio and driving across town, with the phone I get bad drop outs and sometimes have to kill and restart the app ... with the MiFi, it pops and then is back usually within less than a second. Since the phone is not responsible for the connection (the phone is continually connected, the stream just stops) I think that's why it works so much better.

I've seriously considered getting one and mounting it hidden in my car and tied into the battery so that I don't even need to carry one with me there. But I carry a purse (right right, a man bag. FFS, it's from Swiss Army) and if I have it running in there, the phone is good for about 10'.

Also, since it can handle 5 connections, my kids and wife get better reception in the car as well, PinkHat uses her notebook on long trips while my phone streams radio and the kids surf on their phones. It rocks.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 11:56:31 AM »

Aah, ok. I don't think we have MiFi here at 80s technology land called Finland. Here it's pretty much great luck to find free-to-use wifi when you are in the center of Helsinki. I always lol when our politicians say that Finland is one of the most technology advanced countries.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript