The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:12:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The real deathknell for Flash  (Read 1412 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:25:49 PM »

Yeah yeah, Apple doesn't like it, it causes battery life problems etc. etc. Whatever.

Those are not the things that will kill Flash. Google has done it.

The new Google Instant and Google Preview have been seen as some pretty nifty improvements to the search engine. In fact, I think it may be the most profound change we've seen in an incredibly long time.

First, from an SEO perspective, positions 3..7 in a 10-block are now pretty meaningful again because with Preview you can quickly roll down through all the results and see the sites before you visit. Here's the big hit: ugly sites will no longer get visited. You'd better have a pretty nice looking page with a call to action and exactly what Im looking for or I'll not even give you a one click quickie.

Which leads to Flash. It shows up as a big empty box in preview. Check out a site that is almost all flash ... There's nothing to see in preview. Yeah man, that'll help your traffic. The more flash on the page ... The worse the preview looks. Provided you've done your HTML5 right, it shows up beautifully as preview/banner/default/graceful degrade at the least. Flash? Your Alt text.

Some might argue that Preview is just a fad. I say it's the next evolution. Fewer clicks to get what I want, don't even need to go to something that looks like spam. Google has made it that you'll only see that cool Flash nav effect if you make it to the site ... And with Preview you are less likely to because of that cool Flash nav effect.

HTML5 now already accounts for 55% of all video shown on the web. There's still a lot of entrenched Flash that will take quite awhile before it goes away. But there's nothing like a drop in traffic and sales to incentivize people to change ... And when "webmasters" ( ROFLMAO ) figure this one out they will drop flash in a skinny minute. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:28:27 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 01:41:10 PM »

A Flash developer struggles to explain the tools of his trade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL2t8eOs1XE
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »

LOL those instaAnimations are pretty cool Smiley

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »

Q: What the Flex are you doing?
A: Kiss my AS3

ROFLMAO

I secretly hope Flash will disappear forever so I'm never required to invest my time learning how to program to it.  From a high level glance, Flex looks nice and certainly provides plenty of sweet effects to make an average website special.  On the other hand, AS3 is Flash is Flex is proprietary and therefore is about as vomitworthy as investing time in Quicktime/Silverlight programming  Vomit

I may be in a considerable minority being an Apex/Visualforce coder.  But I'd bet that Force.com has a greater lifespan than Flash technologies by far.  Hell, along with Apple SFDC enthusiastically embraces HTML 5 and would like nothing more than a world with maximum potential recurring revenue customers 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript