The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 05:48:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Making of Diaspora  (Read 2663 times)
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:32:36 AM »

The Making of Diaspora
Boring article, but anyone heard of this ?
http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/internet/the-making-of-diaspora/0
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:21:31 AM »

Yeah, I've been following these guys from the beginning of Diaspora. Everything so far has been nothing more than a total let down. What these guys are doing is borderline idiotic - they are basically asking average folks to install Ruby, MongoDB and bunch of other shit on their computer just to "be free of Facebook" D'oh! Unless they build a kick-ass installer with 1 click installation it's not gonna fly. Even if they did that, I still doubt it very much that your average joe is going to jump aboard. Another thing is that the first version gave away that they aren't the best coders and designers. There was so obvious security flaws in the design that it is a bit hard to appear like a company who's software you would give your personal data to. They tried to use the "it's an alpha, there's mistakes" excuse but in this case they should have released a public very detailed document about known security flaws and how they are going to fix them, of course this would apply only if they knew about those issues.

Overall, I wouldn't hold my breath on Diaspora project...

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »

Yeah, I've been following these guys from the beginning of Diaspora. Everything so far has been nothing more than a total let down. What these guys are doing is borderline idiotic - they are basically asking average folks to install Ruby, MongoDB and bunch of other shit on their computer just to "be free of Facebook" D'oh! Unless they build a kick-ass installer with 1 click installation it's not gonna fly. Even if they did that, I still doubt it very much that your average joe is going to jump aboard. Another thing is that the first version gave away that they aren't the best coders and designers. There was so obvious security flaws in the design that it is a bit hard to appear like a company who's software you would give your personal data to. They tried to use the "it's an alpha, there's mistakes" excuse but in this case they should have released a public very detailed document about known security flaws and how they are going to fix them, of course this would apply only if they knew about those issues.

Overall, I wouldn't hold my breath on Diaspora project...
Average Joe does not matter to start with. All new trends start with a minority core and then spread. FF is a good example.
I was suspicous when I saw there are lots of articles about what it supposed does.
But none on "How".
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »

Average Joe does not matter to start with. All new trends start with a minority core and then spread. FF is a good example.
I was suspicous when I saw there are lots of articles about what it supposed does.
But none on "How".
Actually Facebook didn't as complicated software with minority core - it started with colleges and was basically a simple dating site. Or at least that was Zuckerberg's "vision". I mean Linux is everywhere but it still so fucking hard to use for AJ that it doesn't catch on no matter how many minority fellows recommend it. Also Diaspora team's choice to use Ruby on Rails & MongoDB are completely retarded choices for what they are trying to do and clearly reveal that they either have no experience or knowledge how to research "right tool or the problem" or that they blindly chose what was trendy at the moment. RoR is for making server-based webapps for fuck sake... it was not meant to be installed as some sort of local client app. And MongoDB is just plain trendy choice and Diaspora app itself doesn't need such a database. MongoDB name comes from "humongous database" and if the idea is to build these one user "pods" it makes no sense to use database that's build so that it gets its power when you start to scale it to many machines.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »

Indirectly Linux powers more devices then any other OS.
Most people have more linux powered devices in their house,car,cellphone,router etc.
They just do not know it Smiley
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:22:48 PM »

Indirectly Linux powers more devices then any other OS.
Most people have more linux powered devices in their house,car,cellphone,router etc.
They just do not know it Smiley
Yeah but you know I mean Linux Desktop OS Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript