The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 05:24:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The girls of open source (this post is not yet rated)  (Read 2052 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2010, 03:28:24 PM »

It's only a matter of time.  Since profits began rolling in at the dawn of the personal computer era, the big players have been tripping over each other to be the first to indoctrinate children into the Apple universe or the Windows universe, or the fill in the blank proprietary profit universe.  Microsoft has always had an edge because kids love games but Apple has always been the school friendliest of the bunch.  IBM and other leaders in the mainframe universe had their spotlight moment as thin client, "who cares what it looks like since it's just education anyway" providers.

Open source is quickly becoming the place to be in education.  The community element promoting the advancement of open source through individual contributions is very similar to the advancement of sciences in general.  However, I'd throw in a caveat to this overwhelmingly popular trend: cloud computing.  Sure the cloud can be open, or the cloud can be closed.  But if we're not careful, we meaning free software advocates along with our open source cousins, the ROI of a thin-client approach (brought to you by Carls Jr.) could hand the keys to our children's educational path generation back over to the IBMs once again 

And the angels of God saw that the clouds of men were fair so they took them to be their clouds and produced glorious lock-in.  The intoxicating allure of savings and profits over freedom and education is our challenge.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »

ATTENTION CTP PARTICIPANTS: If you have a billing location in one of our initial launch countries, beginning February 1, 2010 any Windows Azure CTP account(s) not already converted to a commercial subscription will be deactivated. To avoid interruption of service you must upgrade your CTP account to a commercial subscription by visiting our offers page to get an account

I CAN hear it now... people saying 'I dont have any more minutes on my cloud so i cant use my internets.

Pretty soon your gonna have to pay for your computer power like cell phone minutes.

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »

Windows Azure Benefits

* Bring your ideas to market faster and pay as you go

First bullet point as i read on...  ROFLMAO

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:12:51 PM »

Ha!  Totally.  It reminds me of that copy of Vista Ultimate that I don't use anymore in favor of Ubuntu (LOVE Ubuntu, btw).  I was flirting with Ubuntu for a while and I swear it was as if Vista started feeling jealous.   The occasional soft warning I would see every month or so claiming that I just might have an unauthorized copy of Vista (Shocked) turned into a set of keys in the system tray with purchasing instructions and some impending doom message about changing the locks to the apartment, if you get my meaning.  The Vista Ultimate unhappy finish, or the Microsoft Genuine Advantage, if you will.

That sucks too because although I would never purchase never technically "purchased" Vista, the guy who gave it to me for Rosh Hashanah one year said both the OS and the ham basket it came in were legal and blessed by the church. 

Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:32:31 PM »

vmware by the hour:

http://info.vmware.com/content/8543_LP

On-demand, pay-as-you-go Infrastructure as a Service

vCloud Express is an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) offering delivered by leading VMware service provider partners. It provides reliable, on-demand, pay-as-you-go infrastructure that ensures compatibility with internal VMware environments and with VMware Virtualized™ services.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »

Im gonna start AaaS.
Asshole  as a service.

christ the *aas stuff is getting out of hand.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:45:17 PM »

There actually was an Application as a Service term that was replaced by Software as a Service, according to some cloud white paper I read a while back.  But the main three are probably here to stay.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »

Wake me when the my country is mature enough for WaaS. Blonde, V69.0 for me, thanks.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 01:18:13 PM »

look no further.

b l ow job machine [period] net

... dont get me started:  new input source....
virus and bug free, user friendly,

seriously now theres a computer you can put
your wee ner in

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript