The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 05:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: suggestions on creating an encrypted working environment  (Read 1444 times)
svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »

So I've decided it's time to start consolidating my information online.  I'm spread out between a lot of different clouds at this point and it's time to start ramping up the security a bit.

I want to keep a PGP enabled email account on a local encrypted disk with many of my working tools. And start to get things off of gmail.

I also have a substantial number of files on dropbox and evernote that I want to start either encrypting or moving.  Any gems out there I should look into?  Would love to hear your guys' opinions on these matters.

a ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's for.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »

What is the impetus for the move? I'm a huge Dropbox fan, love it as is. In fact we have a 1Tb team Dropbox. But we don't put anything there that would be ... problematic ... if it were out in the wild. Change passwords often and with strong password methods and you should do fine.

Evernote is cool, but perhaps what you need is an encrypted, synced mechanism to hold stuff. I use 1Password now and sync it with Dropbox. It's flawless. I have everything that even remotely needs to be secure in it. It's database is encrypted where it's stored, so Dropbox is syncing an encrypted file.

Personally I use iCloud for contacts, calendars and iMessage. I use SalesForce for all of our business knowledge needs specific to customers. We have a private WIKI for other things but that is rapidly becoming deprecated. I use Dropbox for all documentish things I need stored. I place an alias to my Dropbox in my Documents folder so that my local TimeMachine makes a backup of my Dropbox. I keep all important and private data within 1Password, synced by Dropbox.

I then use my iPad to access virtual instances of *nix and 'doz on my private cloud, as well as access to all the systems I just mentioned. I'm not sure that your needs would be that much more intense than mine.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:52 AM »

hey Perk,

that is very helpful mate.  I've just been lazy for far too long, and it's time to lock it up =)  I will try out 1Password, that looks very promising.  I wonder if the secure notes bit would let me replace my evernote easily.

I have a dropbox account, but I've decided to create a SpiderOak account, and I am in the process of transitioning over.

a ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's for.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript