The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 12:05:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: smokin deal on a raid 1/0 usb/fire/esata 1-2TB drivebox  (Read 7881 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »

http://4sp.in/2m1

I just got one, and it works perfect. a little fan noise, but not to bad.
1tb if raid1 2tb if raid0
Hell the drives alone cost more than that.

Not sure how drive failure is handled though, and cant find any answers on it.
but i guess as long as it tells you something is wrong, and you can have enough time to get a new unit and move your stuff, its all good.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:51:40 PM »

I hate Fry's. Everything I purchase from them sucks.

Looks good on YOU though  Roll Eyes

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »

i agree. virtually everything is a returned openbox.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:56:25 AM »

eSATA external drive w00t

wish I could justify the expenditure right now...wait I think I can

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »

I hate Fry's. Everything I purchase from them sucks.

I have a love/hate relationship with them.  Worst experience I've had was with a monitor I bought a long time ago.  It turns out it was a returned item - many times.  There was a fuzzy spot the size of a 1/2 dollar but the distortion was "within acceptable limits of quality," or something like that.  But this was a 24" Trinitron back in the day, and heavy as hell.  I almost screamed at the guy who refused to admit that he was looking at this fuzzy spot.  The manager finally came over, relieved him of his lying duties, and proceeded to explain how his people are instructed to only evaluate product defects that fall outside this arbitrary range of acceptable quality.  Therefore, this person was simply doing his job.  Lying.

Frys has one major problem that when you consider what it is you'll greatly improve your Fry's experience: they ship glass sculptures with major appliances, along with monitors and your extreme discount hard drives.  So, keyboards and mice?  Frys for days baby.  Hard drives??  Frys for even more days as you become a serial product returner.

Nuts is right.  I was at Frys last night staring at nice new video cards.  It's my comfort zone.  But every single 1GB version of this Nvidia card was a return with a yellow sticker.  It looked bad not just because it's obviously the "brown acid" of that card version, but because they're so out of touch as a company that someone would allow this massively red flag to fly.  Frys is stocked with terribly broken products and people.  But a $8.99 "utility" keyboard from Logitech is always hard to pass up 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »

USB harddrives.. now where's the no way in hell smiley?

I made the mistake once and bought USB2.0 harddrive, the speed just sucks donkey balls. They are completely useless unless you use them for backups only. I rather buy more harddrives to my home fileserver.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:32:46 AM »

The only thing I'll shop for at Fry's is network parts. It's hard to screw up bulk CAT6 cable. Oh, and rack parts, connecters etc. Perhaps the odd adapter or wire management stuff. It if's got no moving parts then it may well be worth purchasing. Maybe.

I once considered purchasing RAM there because they had such an unbelievable deal.
Then I punched myself in the nuts for my stupidity and left with my wallet and techtegrity in tact.
If not my nuts.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 10:35:54 AM »

USB harddrives.. now where's the no way in hell smiley?

I made the mistake once and bought USB2.0 harddrive, the speed just sucks donkey balls. They are completely useless unless you use them for backups only. I rather buy more harddrives to my home fileserver.

Except that it is eSATA and firewire too...

hai
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 10:48:32 AM »

You are right.. I just read "6x speed USB2.0" and got the chills.. my bad. eSATA I could live with.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:57:21 AM »

eSATA rocks - powered externally or well within the capacity of your PC.  Firewire is the same steaming data transfer pile with an umbrella and pineapple wedge.

One correction IMO - uncompressed/ripped DVDs work flawlessly over my network on shared external USB 2.0 drives.  My PC by the TV gets perfect file streaming through that path (USB 2.0 external/shared on a PC/located by another PC/displayed on second DVI out from 512MB Nvidia card).

I used to only use them for backups until I realized how flaky they can be.  I'd make multiple OCD-style backups to feel like my data was protected.  Now all my externals are just movie jukeboxes.  These days my backups go to internal and other networked PC's internal, non-primary drives.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »

One correction IMO - uncompressed/ripped DVDs work flawlessly over my network on shared external USB 2.0 drives.  My PC by the TV gets perfect file streaming through that path (USB 2.0 external/shared on a PC/located by another PC/displayed on second DVI out from 512MB Nvidia card).
Now but ITTO darling I was talking about people who live in this century Wink They don't watch DVDs anymore... It's either 1080p mkv or bluray image and they really don't play nice with USB2.0. Firewire, I'm not sure but according to tests it's better with continuous stream of data.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 11:16:25 AM »

yep eSata is what gave me the boner.

I would have just gotten more drives to put into my machine, but... Im out of space.
Im actually going to get another one of these, and raid them. It will be a 2tb raid10, external, on eSata. 
Its going to be for MM storage solely.

Plus. This was cheaper than getting 2 1TB drives or 1 2TB drive. Even the OEMs from newegg. I just couldnt pass it up.
Was good and easy. fan is just slightly audible, but once all the machines are goin, pffft.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »

Now all my externals are just movie jukeboxes.  These days my backups go to internal and other networked PC's internal, non-primary drives.
Bam ... I've been burned a few too many times by external USBs, so it's internals or dediNetRaidDriveMonsterThings for me for backups. In fact, my personal backups are two internal 2Tb drives running as a single 2TB Raid 1 mirror. Yes yes yes I know that having them inside the machine makes them susceptible to the same power bounces, but this has been the most reliable thing I've found so far.

@ Kurdt, Bluray etc: here you and I differ significantly. I am more involved in convenience and expediency than fidelity. There are places in my life where fidelity is vitally important, but not for playing back Miss Congeniality for the 19 millionth time with PinkHat and the kids. I could give a shit about specs, because my MTRd/Handbraked rips run great on all my TVs, computers and iPhones. Looks great, sounds great - perhaps not anywhere near what would make you happy, but that's not where I'm at.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »

Was good and easy. fan is just slightly audible, but once all the machines are goin, pffft.

Great deal? Lotsa space? WGAF about a little fan noise  ROFLMAO

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 11:27:11 AM »

@ Kurdt, Bluray etc: here you and I differ significantly. I am more involved in convenience and expediency than fidelity.
Naah, you are just using wrong devices like I have been saying... I'm actually pretty sure that my setup that revolves around HD only content is way easier than anything you have. Basically with my setup all it takes is 1 click to mark new bluray/mkv for download and after that I just start up iStar, choose the file with same type of interface than in AppleTV except little uglier and enjoy. Yeah, I don't sync with iTunes because I don't need to sync, I just stream straight from the server Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript