The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 16, 2019, 04:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SEO: G culling doorways in long tail  (Read 2225 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2010, 10:41:16 AM »

Cutts "this is an algorithmic change in Google, looking for higher quality sites to surface for long tail queries. It went through vigorous testing and isnít going to be rolled back."

Sullivan: "This change seems to have primarily impacted very large sites with 'item' pages that donít have many individual links into them, might be several clicks from the home page, and may not have substantial unique and value-added content on them. For instance, ecommerce sites often have this structure."

searchengineland.com/google-confirms-mayday-update-impacts-long-tail-traffic-43054
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »

Man what a rat race to keep up with.  I'd probably hate Google too if they lifted a finger and changed my entire ranking profile over and over again.  SEO is a whacked game in many ways 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »

>SEO is a whacked game

Been playing it for 14 years now.  The trick is to think black, act white.  I'm going to get one of those rubber bracelets one day..  you know, one that says

What Would Google Do?
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »

Yeah, nowadays I really don't understand people who depend their livelyhood on search engines. They really don't care about anything else except their own stock so any algorithm that gives them better overall CTR on their ads is going to happen. Google is so populated with ads and competition is so miniscule that I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't really bother Google if their search result quality drops if in return they get  more ad clicks.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 12:01:54 PM »

>What would Google do?

ROFLMAO 

It's all kurdt really cares about in life  Wink  (it is, after all, fuck you Friday)

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »

>I really don't understand people who depend their livelyhood on search engines.

Monetarily, it's been nice for me but I can't say that the money was the draw.  At least for the old dawgs, it's the thrill of the chase that calls to us.  It's a far tougher field than it was a decade ago, but I still manage to make a couple of salaries just screwing around with it a few hours per week, just me and the keyboard. No employees, no phones, no client contracts.  It's a good life but it's not for everyone.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »

i cant figure out for the life of me why my turds are doing well now. lol. maybe its this change?  ROFLMAO

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »

Cripes like I even have to time to analyze this shift. RC - do you have a thumbnail of the impact yet?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 10:13:05 AM »

>thumbnail

I've seen some changes in travel sites but -to me- the top ranking sites didn't look all that great, either.  Others are asking if it's in effect yet, so you gotta figure the impact was neutral for their niche.  But I'm also hearing from very knowledgeable sources that some sites were wiped off the serps.   So the definitive answer seems to be "it depends on who you're talking to."

G analytics says my traffic is up in general over the last 2 months. Average seems to be up 10% per month. Write off half of that increase as seasonal, though.  Note that these are very long-term, white, authoritative sites with new 2nd and 3rd level content being added slowly but steadily. However, they do not tend to get many new backlinks as a rule because they just are one-of-many when compared to competitive sites. (No one links to yet-another-travel-site, IMO.) *BUT* of the 60 or so sites in the network, those which haven't had any fresh content over the last year or two are down 5% on average during the same period. Too soon to tell if this is coincidence, but looking at the topview of the reports it kinds of jumps out at me as having a pattern.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 10:24:57 AM »

Excellent food for thought RC and since ive got some similar travel skin in the game as well I'm going to go cull that stuff first. I've not yet noticed any substantial movement one way or the other but am going to start watching.

Thanks again.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »

<added>

Large ecommerce and/or affiliate sites' individual product pages generated from a database *claim* that they are taking the brunt of the hit.  Anyway, they are screaming the loudest right now.  But because large ecommerce sites are invariably among the best-tracked sites re seo, I believe they tend to overstate the negative impact of an update.  Still, large, (templated) db-gen'd sites are what Cutts seemed to want to cull.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript