The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:10:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SarcMarc - tell them how you really feel  (Read 1595 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6995354/Sarcasm-punctuation-mark-aims-to-put-an-end-to-email-confusion.html

Anyone concerned that the irony of their email or text message might not be appreciated by its recipient can use the symbol to close their sentence, thereby avoiding awkward misunderstandings.  The symbol a dot inside a single spiral line can be installed onto any PC running Windows 7, XP or Vista, as well as Macs and Blackberry mobile devices.  It can then be used in Word documents, instant messenger conversations, Outlook email and other programmes, just by pressing Ctrl and the full stop button.  The Michigan company behind the SarcMark have applied for a patent to protection their invention.

Wow.  I guess the open source alternative of: Wink just isn't good enough for the world...  Sarcasm Roll Eyes  I'm actually thinking they may do really well, since from a legal standpoint I can see companies requiring this symbol in all corporate communications from emails to post-its.  So much for retaining what little enjoyment some people actually experience in the jobs that they hate showing up for.  Although I'm fortunate to enjoy mine, if this became a requirement I'd have a hard time not over-using the symbol sarcastically such that serious statements would now be in question - not the ones that require you to pull your head out of your reptilian rear and actually detect levels of playful sarcasm on your own.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 02:39:05 PM »

i think roll eyes is more fitting of a SarcMark, since that is what you would actually do if you needed to emote sarcasm in a real conversation. But it also could imply displeasure or stupidity. Interestingly, i do think there is a need for it. A mark that is only 1 thing, sarcasm was this sentence.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:36 PM »

Interestingly, i do think there is a need for it. A mark that is only 1 thing, sarcasm was this sentence.

I'm on the fence with the "need" and definitely not sold on a patented or trademarked solution.  Imagine the court battles when untrained employees of companies unwittingly forward or use this symbol and then the company is financially liable for this?  The open source community would probably declare that @) or some such combination represents the same thing.

Yet another issue is this, at least for me.  Why on Earth would you use sarcasm in a forum where without a symbol denoting it you may get into legal trouble?  I mean fuck.  If I wouldn't say "fuck," why would I say "fuck @)"  Huh?  Sarcasm with a disclaimer also seems a bit gimped to me

Food for lazy Saturday brains Smiley

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 09:16:17 PM »

oo!o <-- my patented symbol saying what i think of patented symbols
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »

oo!o <-- my patented symbol saying what i think of patented symbols

ROFLMAO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript