The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 05:48:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (Referral Links != GoodSEO) === FALSE  (Read 4054 times)
m0nkeymafia
Expert

Check it!

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2007, 01:12:26 AM »

I dont know where to post this so feel free to move it wheverrrrr u want.

Just a quicky but it helped me so guess itd help some of you.
I run a large member based site, part of my process for attracting new members is giving credit to existing members who "refer" new guys.  To do this they have their own url, i.e. blah.com/register.php?refferalId=X
This is all well and good for getting people on the site but it means i have a couple of hundred or thousand links not really going anywhere SEO wise.

In my php i check for the $_GET['referralId'] and then set a session up to record it so if the person browses elsewhere on the site the referral stays.

A simple 301 then Header("Location: /index.html"); afterwards will ensure google treats any referral link as a link to your main home page.
Meaning not only do  you get loads of new members, your existing members take the credit, you also get full SEO / Link Weight benefit.

Simple and easy but often overlooked

I am Tyler Durden
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »

good point, regardless where it should go Smiley

Caligula
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 06:08:22 PM »

I wonder why you arent seeing too much SEO benefit.. even if they were all so/so sites.. a few thousand links should at least count for something... nevertheless... I got to hand it to ya.. thats a great idea for building a forum.... Mobster
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 06:51:14 PM »

that actually is a great idea. what would probably help SEO wise would be if members could link directly to posts in the forum, instead of a generic url. that way they could post relevant anchors and such which would help for ranking.

hmmmm. how hard would something like that be for smf? i dont do forums, but possibly would if i found the right topic.
i would guess that something could be added to the template file that checks for referralId and if so, register a hit in the database or whatever your doing with it.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 04:55:56 AM »

I run a large member based site, part of my process for attracting new members is giving credit to existing members who "refer" new guys.  To do this they have their own url, i.e. blah.com/register.php?refferalId=X

What do they get as "credit"?

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
m0nkeymafia
Expert

Check it!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 05:34:48 AM »

On my site its just about rep etc
We have a ajax chatroom and a popup "card" over each person when you hover over them and you get to see who referred who
We are also gonna do league tables n that to try encourage more people.
But thats about it credit wise

I am Tyler Durden
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript