The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Project magazine on ipad  (Read 1296 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:58:31 PM »

Have an iPad? Go download project magazie for 2 bucks.

It is nowhere near to fully cooked, but, it is exactly where magazine are going and should be going.

Excellent job on a lot of the interactions. Better than wired.
Clear visual ques to tell you where and what to do, once you realize they are there.
External links related to the article, in a tab on the side of each article.
Forums for each article.
Great use of subtle and simple visual power elements, that can only be done in digital mag. Example is the kayaking picture that you zoom out on to get the full impact of the photo and the thing they are talking about.

Fails:
Each time you open the mag,you end up back at the beginning. WTF? No placeholder memory...
Browser has no back arrow....
Animation pages play the animation EVERY time you land on it. This is a problem when the first paragraph is in that animation and it takes 30 seconds before you see it. Needs a skip button at the very least.

But overall, being virgin Corp. I am sure it will only get better.

I fully recommend it to at least get a taste of where things are heading when steering is done by a company that "gets it".

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:01:47 AM »

I got it when it first popped as well, haven't made my way completely through it yet. But I do agree that it has that intangible "wanna read that" about it, where even wired just kind of pisses me off sometimes.

Your points are also spot on. Haven't done this yet, but I think I will use the mag to go to the forum and start a thread on some of that stuff, unless its already been done (highly likely). I'm not entirely certain how the "magazine changes everyday through the month" bit really looks, or if I'll even want to revisit topics I'm done with. Interesting idea, but not sure on that one yet. They probably need an icon tag and then a new sort of contents to point me to changes, because I'll not play 20 questions or D&D to try to find changed content.

Also it's $3, so best save your pennies campers.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 04:55:57 PM »

Is there a website for this magazine NB ? Just want to see what it is about
The "magazine" is in a "website browser" or is it an ipad app ?
I might have to shell out $$$ to buy an ipad just to see what it is Smiley
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 06:09:51 PM »

http://www.projectmag.com/

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 06:14:56 PM »

i think the "changes through the month" is going to mean a main mag, with a few articles on the day of issue launch, then add articles to the end of it over the course of the month. The fact is, magazines like this have 100's if not 1000's of articles that are too small to put into the main issue, but, can be filler of "interesting stuff" to fluff it out. In print you cant do this except when you need to fill some white space. Its a math problem in print, a 16 page signature would mean that X pages need to be ads, and Y pages need to be content. That means a mag is going to be 32, 48, 64, etc pages, not 50.

but an electronic mag, 1 article = 1 page long or short, no matter.

and btw. i havent bought wired since ipad issue 2, and let my paper sub expire too.
not enough time, too many white papers to read... lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript