The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 12:44:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PHP in Windows 7  (Read 1037 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »

First off, I'm a PHP noob so this advice is probably obvious to the experienced.  But from frustration I must share... don't even think about trying to configure PHP with MySQL 5.1 with IIS7.  It's apparently possible, according to docs and blog posts.  But irony strikes on this one.  For some reason I kept trying to get PHP 5.2.0 to work with IIS7 and was deep in registry modifications when it hit me.  Hey, what about Apache??  It's open source, you dumbass.

Apache works like a charm and all is well.  But IIS7 can cram its CGI and Fast CGI options deep inside its secret place.  What a crock!  No wonder Apache commands over 70% of the market.

Also, an interesting thing I read about Apache recently: originally it wasn't about a red feather and native Americans at all; it was a very "patchy" server...

A "pachy" server = Apache Server

Smiley

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 12:05:17 AM »

Apache is great, if you can afford having slow and resource intensive server. Many people including me are switching to Nginx which performs way, way better and in my opinion is easier to configure. It's really cool how much you can get out of $20 256MB VPS with Redis/MongoDB & Nginx. If you still want to push it, you can go with EventMachine or Node.js. Those are not your average plug & play HTTP servers so beware but will give you performance you won't believe.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript