The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 05:57:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oracle-Sun deal: An "Apple" experience in the server room?  (Read 2392 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:54:22 AM »

This is interesting:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/20/oracle_to_acquire_sun_for_5_6_billion.html

I'm wondering if they see the value of the "all-in" solution that Mac has provided on the low end, and decided that delivering it for the high-end server market is the way to go. I'll betcha this means good things for the Sun hardware, but I am curious what this will mean for Java.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:03:12 AM »

Meh

Oracle has never targetted small shops, even the ones using their software for free without a license. They go after the Fortune 500 licenses. Actually that is part of their marketing strategy; They give you all the goodies for free, but when you succeed they will come a'knocking for their share.

I'm more concerned about what it means for MySQL. If there is one thing Oracle is not, it is a proponent of open source software. Oracle loves to license the everloving crap out of everything.

On the up side, this means InnoDB and MySQL are together, on some level.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »

Oracle has never targetted small shops, even the ones using their software for free without a license. They go after the Fortune 500 licenses.

... that's my point - an all-in solution for the high end, not the low end.

@MySQL - concern has been high there for a while, this will be interesting and hopefully not problematic.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:35:25 PM »

All I know is I am not very impressed with sun after the Java BS.
Also sun promised to produce a webkit widget for Java over a year ago.
They even had a supposed demo.
After 1 year it is still vapour ware.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 11:35:43 PM »

I hope after the acquisition they become powerful enough to seriously challenge Microsoft.  Then, the two titans of predatory licensing clash in a UFC-style tech battle to the death.  Afterwards, open source sweeps the debris out of the stadium and share cropping wins the day 

On a less utopian note, I'm not looking forward to what happens to Sun.  As for Oracle, I have major problems with basically all aspects of what they represent, even though they have produced great things in the past.  I spent a short time there as an engineer 18 years ago.  After a year I left, bleeding from the soul.  They were just as terrible on the inside IMO.  Boo.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »

Interesting article: http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/41118?netht=rn_042209&nladname=042209dailynewsamal

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »

It's true - I hadn't put it into so many words in my mind, but that combo offers they, together, an opportunity to start moving some seriously cloudy matrices. Gonna have to keep my finger on that pulse a little more, methinks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript