The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 05:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oracle abandoning OpenOffice  (Read 2935 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:48:40 AM »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/15/oracle_letting_openoffice_go/

Among the ideas Oracle had lined up for OpenOffice under its control: a call to rewrite it using the closed-source JavaFX language for interface development that nobody cares about but Oracle.

ROFLMAO

When the Sun deal closed, we came across Oracle people nosing around open source events actually trying to track down people inside companies responsible for working on OpenOffice so they could make contact.

ROFLMAO

Bubye!   Grin

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »

It's not clear, meanwhile, whether the Document Foundation has a future when OpenOffice is back in the open. Much will depend on what kind of governance model Oracle releases OpenOffice under. Also, too, whether Oracle will as is likely retain the OpenOffice trademark, which would mean that it would retain the ultimate form of control over what changes go into OpenOffice.

Indeed. I hesitate to believe that there'd be lots of people willing to jump all over updating it if Oracle wants to own the marbles but have everyone else do the work ... and yet have no real say on where it goes.

I THINK it sounds like good news.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50:42 AM »

I think this is just the most recent step where Oracle realizes it can't simply buy "open." People have been leaving OpenOffice in droves, like myself, and switching to LibreOffice. LibreOffice has many of the people from OpenOffice who actually know the code base. So I'd imagine either Oracle will see OpenOffice begin to use LibreOffice's latest code changes moving forward or continue to watch as OpenOffice withers into obscurity. If the former, then LibreOffice will dictate the continued openness of the open office code base.

LibreOffice is essentially the very same thing with different branding and a real open community behind it.

The closed players seem repeatedly slapped in the face for thinking they can buy open street cred. Apple is an exception I believe since as water-tight closed as all of their code is they still manage to maintain a community of folks who are satisfied that at least some of the code was open at some point. Oracle, Microsoft and other closed players seem to violently repel FOSS enthusiasts. IBM has taken decades to turn their ship around and actually has much support from FOSS people these days, ironically.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:51:48 AM »

http://www.libreoffice.org/

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »

Cheers ITTO, nice one.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 12:21:19 AM »

I will check out libreoffice
The python interface to openoffice is so out of date, it not funny
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript