The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 01:47:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera Mini 5 (Beta)  (Read 9229 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »

Looks really nice.  Still no Flash, AJAX, or JavaScript support but it's free and apparently very fast.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353115,00.asp?kc=PCRSS02129TX1K0000530

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 07:32:38 PM »

love it.. no java?  this one runs on the jvm on the palm... heres a java demo of the mobile version...

http://www.opera.com/mini/demo

http://www.perkiset.org/forum/all_things_apple/opera_mini_for_palm_os_or_any_jvm_really-t1326.0.html;msg10188#msg10188

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:00:24 PM »

Adobe needs to get their act together and stop saying it's all the phones fault that Flash doesn't run well. It's a hog, built for desktops - time to man up.

Big ol' chunk of the web missing from my iPhone with that.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 02:34:06 AM »

An admitted apple flaw? muhahahaha your fanatical devotion to  apple \
leads me to only one conclusion:

MACHEAD!!!

seen the video yet? (youll have to go to a regular computer to visit hulu... sorry iphone users no hulu for you..)

macheadsthemovie.com

Ya, the whole flash, java partially there on the palm, activexlessness , etc still
puts me at eee pc and a 3g air card as the best fully functional mobile
computing rig..... wampserver, vmware, php designer, netflix, half pack of smokes, mission from god... you get the pic.

The Asus EEE Pc t91 (Review) still makes applesauce of the iphone... specially with the 9 inch touchscreen... I mean yea the iphone is pretty sweet but you can do EVERYTHING you really need to do with the t91 .... for five hours off the wire.

:finds something to hide behind from the inevitable rotten window basher fruit about to be thrown:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 02:36:35 AM by jammaster82 » Logged

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 07:52:24 AM »

The Asus EEE Pc t91 (Review) still makes applesauce of the iphone... specially with the 9 inch touchscreen... I mean yea the iphone is pretty sweet but you can do EVERYTHING you really need to do with the t91 .... for five hours off the wire.
LOL except put it in your pocket and make a cell-network call on it. And in the review they did point out that they had to move rather slowly ... neither the touchscreen or processor could keep up with them. Whoohoo baybay... rockin!

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 09:26:40 AM »

Gotta love those stickers... I just can't understand why it's so hard for manufacturers to make nice looking laptops. That keyboard literally screams "I'M A CHEAP ASUS LAPTOP!".

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »

Gotta love those stickers...

The fact that this PC, along with all other non-Mac PCs, are comprised of a unique blend of hardware and software makes the sticker situation unavoidable.  They come off quickly and easily.

More revealing, however, is when an Apple fanboi shows his true colors by pointing out something of such insignificance - clearly grasping for something solid to reinforce his entrenched opposition to literally everything but Macs.

It's predictable and holds less and less value over time.  No company in the world is worth diminishing my word through any form of blind allegiance on my part, even if I like a few more than some others.  I mean isn't there at least a little feeling of shame as a result of your blind allegiance Grin

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »

Equally important, is to not discount the notion of an aesthetic. With the Asus you definitely get what you pay for: plastic, cheap looking and low-end. In fairness, that's what you want if you're purchasing one ... but they do scream CHEAP. With the technology available today, I'd be embarrassed to have one of those and for my clients to see me. They're like a moped: cheap and fun, until someone catches you riding it (Yes, that joke originally referenced another something that's fun to ride until someone catches you... Wink ) They just look like, "I can't afford a real notebook, so I've got this cheap way to get to the net." Has nothing to do with Apple at all for me.

@ stickers: of the windows and Intel Inside stickers I've removed, they put up a helluva fight and often leave a nasty residue. Most can all eventually be removed, but IME it is hardly "quickly and easily." My Inspiron's "stickers" are actually slightly raised chunks of plastic that, DAMN, it's like they're melted onto the faceplate or something. They're WAY on there. So I leave them because I don't want to ruin the keyboard/palm area.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 12:00:44 PM »

@ stickers: of the windows and Intel Inside stickers I've removed, they put up a helluva fight and often leave a nasty residue. Most can all eventually be removed, but IME it is hardly "quickly and easily." My Inspiron's "stickers" are actually slightly raised chunks of plastic that, DAMN, it's like they're melted onto the faceplate or something.

I've never seen this with anything brand new.  Sure, used equipment or stickers that you decide to remove at a later date after say, some Phoenix sun gets to em, well stickers are stickers Smiley  But even then a little warm water on a cloth takes care of it, or at least it has for me.

I would be embarrassed to even say I'd be embarrassed to be "seen" using x laptop or y laptop, unless I had price tags dangling from my Abercrombie & Fitch outfit, pinky extended as I theatrically sipped mocachinos at Starbucks on a Mac - for the sake of being on a Mac  Embarrassed  Talk about unoriginal  ROFLMAO

Snootytoot-tootie my goodness Smooch

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »

Snootytoot-tootie my goodness Smooch

Indeed. I'm afraid I'm a tech snob.
And I'm not embarrassed at all ... I should not be seen using equipment that I'd not put my clients into - and given the proclivities of my clients, that means high end.

Besides that, Eww. I mean, Eww. Last resort man, last resort. You must admit that getting one of those is STRICTLY about price.

And really, if that's your marker, then cool and more power to you. But if you do what we do and can afford one that's fully-grown, then value outweighs price IMO. And again, not talking Apple vs whatever ... those netbooks are just really a compromise piece. Using one would just bug the hell out of me.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »

...unless I had price tags dangling from my Abercrombie & Fitch outfit, pinky extended as I theatrically sipped mocachinos at Starbucks on a Mac - for the sake of being on a Mac  Embarrassed  Talk about unoriginal  ROFLMAO
Well when you put it that way so would I  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO but that's not what's going on here.  Wink

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »

Well when you put it that way so would I   ROFLMAO  ROFLMAO but that's not what's going on here.

Yeah but it's a funny image though Smiley  Here in Hollywood I find piles of iPhone users at restaurants staring down at their palms with the aforementioned outfits and totally 90210 attitudes.  It could be regional but man is it a distasteful site. 

In Hollywood, Apple fanbois are totally Emo and it bugs the crap out of me!  We're talkin The Meaty Cheesy Boys of IT (Infinite Trust-fund)  ROFLMAO

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 12:43:52 PM »

In Hollywood, Apple fanbois are totally Emo and it bugs the crap out of me!  We're talkin The Meaty Cheesy Boys of IT (Infinite Trust-fund)  ROFLMAO

I COMPLETELY get it - you've just described one of the main reasons I have no desire, ever, to move back "home." Parallel: I thought all country music and cowboys was just pose-y nonsense until we built our call center in Fargo ND and I saw f'reals farmer/cowpeople. Talk about an eye opener. If I ever get lonely for such behavior I just slip across town into Scottsburg, or even the local HavaJava has a wifi and plenty of 'puterPosers.

No wonder you hate the Mac, meng. FFS those folk bug the snot out of me as well.
If you ever want to see a f'reals user that drinks Dunkin' Donuts coffee from his own maker and wears 501s with pride, justya c'mon out to Phoenix. Oh, right - see you in November Wink

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »

More revealing, however, is when an Apple fanboi shows his true colors by pointing out something of such insignificance - clearly grasping for something solid to reinforce his entrenched opposition to literally everything but Macs.
Lols - I own Asus "netbook" unfortunately and I rather drag my 15" Macbook with me than that.

Actually those "insignificant" things are something that form a big part of the whole experience. To some people it's about jerking off to hardware and low price. To me it's more about usability and aesthetics. So when you say it's insignificant, it only proves your own ignorance to the big picture.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »

So when you say it's insignificant, it only proves your own ignorance to the big picture.

LOL - yes sir, removing stickers IS insignificant.  Aesthetics are very significant, otherwise I wouldn't decorate my boxes with gorgeous lighting and consistent gloss-black/white/etc. everything.  But removable stickers?  If they didn't come off I'd totally agree with you.  But that's like complaining about a damn price sticker on an item you want polished and nice looking.

Better avoid cars with EPA "stickers" on them too Roll Eyes

You're killin me  ROFLMAO

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript