The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:06:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open-source SVN recommendations? Subversion seems overkill...  (Read 2720 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »

If anyone has any recommendations for web-based or client/server source control I would greatly appreciate it.  I'm looking to version Visualforce and Apex code (Force.com) without paying tons of cash for it.  Since it's cloud computing, remote access is key.  We run on Macs and PCs (Vista and XP) so browser-based is also a factor but plug-ins would suffice.  (did I say but plug-ins?)

After spending a few hours with Subversion I think it's overly complex for what we need.  Any simple GUI-based options that fit the bill would be perfect.  The server could either be Apache/IIS on Windows or Apache on a Linux box.

Praise

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »

"but plug ins"  ROFLMAO

Sorry I can't help here ITTO ... I manage stuff manually.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »

None of the ones I use are GUI-based.

I really don't see the point in a GUI based version control system. How can you get simpler or more efficient than the command line?

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 01:37:38 PM »

I am actually about to embark upon this as well. Mostly for deployment and dev reasons. I dont have anyone else touching my code.

I use a program on the PC called PHPdesigner, http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php
which integrates Tortoise SVN into it. http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

tortoise is just a windows interface to virtually any SVN.
I am going to install an SVN onto my dev box. THough I have not yet figured out which one that may be.

Though this all may be moot, because I may just go with a deployment solution, but i dont really know of any yet.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:39:29 PM »

Thanks for replying vsloathe.  This will be used by various people, some non-tech, some quasi-tech and myself.  Non-tech needs documentation, web-site copy and other basic versioning and repository stuff.  Getting them on a command line is not likely.

I've also got a tight timeline to roll something out that needs nothing even close to what Subversion provides.  Just the basics - projects with versioning.  I can even do things like diff-versus-predecessor with external tools.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 01:48:29 PM »

Thanks nutballs.  I installed Tortoise yesterday.  It's a nice explorer plug-in but I didn't know if it could be easily and securely webified or not.  I'll go back to tigris and search around for info. on remote configurations.  I was attempting to get a standalone Subversion running with Tortoise but after a while I got the feeling it was a larger task than I had planned for. 

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 03:11:27 PM »

Not sure why you would ever let non-tech users see source code. That's about all SVN does.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »

The other issue is I use Eclipse and really would like to stay in that environment for check-ins and outs.  The CEO is also a developer and wants this functionality since he uses Eclipse too.

arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 08:30:41 AM »

svn is free and it seems to fit all your needs.
otherwise there is the distributed like git, mercurial, and bazaar.
i am trying out bazaar now just because their documentation is good.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:11:50 AM »

Thanks arms!
   Smiley

I did a little searching after reading your post and found a nice write-up on the three options you suggested to look at:
http://www.warneronstine.com/blog/articles/2008/07/07/git-mercurial-or-bazaar   

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »

A nice hosted solution I'm looking into as well: http://www.devguard.com/.   Idea...

Looks like an Eclipse plug-in is not yet available but for 6.95 a month (20 repositories, hourly off-site backups) the time/$ savings might be worth a trial.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript