The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 08:08:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Obscured by "Cloud Computing"  (Read 1589 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »

After a long thread and a new appreciation for just how ambiguous saying "Cloud Computing" is, I wanted to hopefully clarify what I mean.  My focus is on SaaS - level 4, which is the latest evolution of the "Programmable Web."  This includes Azure, Force.com, Google App Store, and others like it.

Here's the best one sentence description I've found: "Software as a service (SaaS) is a software application delivery model where the vendor develops as well as operates the software application for use by its customers via the internet."

Toolbox.com does a nice job explaining it in 2 pages: http://it.toolbox.com/wiki/index.php/SaaS

My apologies for using the term "cloud computing" without being more specific.  I plan to say SaaS L4 moving forward so instead of all the confusion I'll probably get the question: "What the hell is that?"  ...even if it's not as cool nop_90 Wink

Previous thread: http://www.perkiset.org/forum/all_things_nix/red_hats_new_target_cloud_computing-t1794.0.html;msg14598;topicseen#msg14598

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 06:07:36 PM »

http://it.toolbox.com/wiki/index.php/SaaS
Google's Gmail is an example of a SaaS application that has scaled to very large measure.

gmail is Software As A Service?  To me, it's software hosted rather than sold in a box.

Why is gmail SaaS, but hotmail, yahoo email, etc, NOT SaaS?

Well, at least the terminology is understandable.

Cheesy

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:00:58 PM »

For google app engine it is basically like a regular "hosting service".
In a normal hosting service you don't have to worry about security, setting up the mysql database etc.
But the down side is many web apps are sharing 1 server.

For google app engine (GAE) you can program it in Django for example (basically like all google shit it geared to python).
Then it has a database (very similar to zodb).

Behind the scenes it spans an unknown amount of servers.
So basically you can take ur django app throw it on GAE.
If it gets like tons of hits per day no worries it can handle it.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »

Why is gmail SaaS, but hotmail, yahoo email, etc, NOT SaaS?

No idea.  Gmail is massively scalable (like yahoo and hotmail) and runs in a multi-tenant architecture.  Not sure if Yahoo and Hotmail are multi-tenant or massively hosted (very thin distinction and not worth the time!)

But SaaS L4 is the foundation used by certain "clouds" (Azure, Google App Store, Force.com) and the "computing" element ties it all together giving us the.... wait for it.......

Programmable Web Grin 

What was simply cloud computing turned into SaaS for programmable web technologies.  Then SaaS "levels" were distinguished leaving level 4 as the one describing programmable web technologies. 

Cloud computing may soon be divided into three groups: IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service), PaaS (Platform as a Service) and SaaS (Software as a Service).  Since Gmail, Yahoo etc. can't claim to be IaaS or PaaS they simply MUST be somewhere in the cloud Smiley  So SaaS is claimed.  PaaS may be adopted as the official SaaS L4 description.  Arrrrg!!

Side note, Obama was on fire tonight  Shocked

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »

Nice visual of the proposed three cloud tiers:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript