The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 14, 2019, 06:09:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MyTouch 4g  (Read 4854 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:40:47 PM »

I just acquired an Android MyTouch 4G (HTC) and test driving the tethering capabilities.   

Applause

I'm writing on my Ubuntu laptop in Firefox, connecting to my 4G wireless hub phone, and seeing upwards of 1Mbps down and, strangely, averaging 1.5 Mbps up.  Although these kid-like moments of Christmas morning awe occur less and less frequently with age, I'm hearing some inspiring soundtrack in my head and visualizing a backpack, lunch, a rocky ledge on the pacific coast and logging in for the workday.  Now that's a kinder, gentler cubicle  Grin

Oh yeah, 4G browsing on the phone?

Perkiset

More later.  For now, I'm going to take a cold shower  Tongue

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:05:24 PM »

lol. faster up than down. freakin networks.
probably because nobody actually ever uploads over cellular really, except for a short burst. Most is DL of course. So the same size pie, it split up into bigger chunks upstream.

Or, your phone is broken  ROFLMAO

fully agree on the cliff, lunch, work.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »

I noticed after a few minutes of inactivity it goes into a power save mode that then produces around 700k down and 20k up!  After about a minute of being awake again it climbs back to around 1mbps down and consistently 1.2-1.5 Mbps up. 

It trickle charges nicely off my laptop's USB with tethering enabled, actually climbing to fully charged.  I did a complete Ubuntu update with reboot and all.  Yeah man, I'm scoping out T-Mobile 4G maps for some exotic day job experiences.  But here's a nice zing for good old itto - I already purchased it and it was being delivered when the AT&T news broke out!  Curses!! 

I hope that merger doesn't happen.  Two companies would command over 80% of all US wireless traffic.  Bad for consumers me thinks  Nerd

But the "contract?"  There is none.  I pay a flat monthly fee for unlimited data, txt and 1000 minutes ($69) and can ad $10 more if I want to talk unlimited too.  Cool thing they're doing these days is offering insurance without contracts at $6 per month ($130 deductible).  Totally worth it, especially when I mount it to a mountain bike for GPS  ROFLMAO

I'm curious to know if the iPhone has anything like the "Genius Button."  Press the button and say "find coffee shops nearby" and a map appears with push pins.  Selecting one goes into GPS mode while you walk/drive there. 

[Just brainstorming...]
Genius Button | Happy Ending | Extreme Discount | Open 24 Hours | Accepts Food Stamps - 

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:36:33 PM »

there are apps that do the genius button thing. and there are some simple voice controls (which are pretty rock solid). The only reason the myTouch has something like that is because it can from the OS fork for that phone. Use a non-mytouch android build and that probably goes away. I am 99% sure there is something like that for jailbroken iphones as well. No reason why not.

Most people will never use that feature though. Like the voice dialing, and music control on the iPhone. Almost every person I have shown it to is like "huh I didnt know that was there". The thing I actually use most is time. Hold down home button (or answer button on headphones), bing bing, "what time is it" and it tells me. great for having your phone in your pocket, listening to music/npr while working and not wanting to pull out the phone. Datacenter is my biggest use of that.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »

Very cool - ::4G Envy::

I noticed after a few minutes of inactivity it goes into a power save mode that then produces around 700k down and 20k up!  After about a minute of being awake again it climbs back to around 1mbps down and consistently 1.2-1.5 Mbps up. 
That's interesting ... I wonder if they downstep to 3G to conserve 4G bandwidth until you actually need it, but keep apps connected. Hmmm.

It trickle charges nicely off my laptop's USB with tethering enabled, actually climbing to fully charged.  I did a complete Ubuntu update with reboot and all.  Yeah man, I'm scoping out T-Mobile 4G maps for some exotic day job experiences.  But here's a nice zing for good old itto - I already purchased it and it was being delivered when the AT&T news broke out!  Curses!! 
That is hot. My middle son does that all the time (tether and charge). I had my first experience with that the other day when, surprisingly, I had my phone and my old notebook but not my pad. Hook up and boom. Sweet. Back packs and cliffs baby.

I hope that merger doesn't happen.  Two companies would command over 80% of all US wireless traffic.  Bad for consumers me thinks  Nerd
As an AT&T serf I wish it would (it would instantly double the density here in hell) but get the idea of too bigness. That said, it seems to be a natural cycle ... startups, acquisition, consolidation, startups to fill the voids left by consolidation ... might take longer than you'd like, but it could bring innovation.

But the "contract?"  There is none.  I pay a flat monthly fee for unlimited data, txt and 1000 minutes ($69) and can ad $10 more if I want to talk unlimited too.  Cool thing they're doing these days is offering insurance without contracts at $6 per month ($130 deductible).  Totally worth it, especially when I mount it to a mountain bike for GPS  ROFLMAO
That's really great - I'm into phones a lot right ATM and that does seem like a pretty good deal. What is the actual coverage for 4G where you are? Sprint is ALL BRAGGY about the fact that they're the first with 4G in the valley. The only problem, is that it's something like 3 antennas right by the airport  Roll Eyes so if you live in the dead zone, you're good to go. They say we're probably at least a year before there's realistic coverage around here Sad

I'm curious to know if the iPhone has anything like the "Genius Button."  Press the button and say "find coffee shops nearby" and a map appears with push pins.  Selecting one goes into GPS mode while you walk/drive there. 
Nuts is right, there's no hardware or built in app/service like that, but there are a boatload of apps. And also agree, most people don't use voice dialing or control, even if they know it's there. PinkHat for example - she has the benefit of our entire contact library at her command... yet she tells me I'm an idiot for not filling my "favorites" fields on the phone  ROFLMAO I tell her that with VoiceD *everyone* is a favorite. I use it all the time, but don't really remember all the other commands or apps that listen to commands, pretty much only dialing.

But all that said, it's a pretty cool demonstration of processing power and services mashup.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »

@4g I checked first and sf is drenched in it.  Two miles south?  You go hungry, bow bow bow.  But 3g is auto-fallback.  Ill bet youre right on 3g in idle mode.

Damn I type slow on a screen!  ROFLMAO

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »

That's one buttugly phone Smiley I don't know how your networks are in US but here (at least in Helsinki area) 3G is fast enough for me. I'm getting about 300k/s down which is like 2.4Mbps and about 40k/s up so it's about 320kbps. However that's only my phone experience. I think 4G will be awesome when it comes to laptops and tablets. There you have more like desktop experience which needs faster speeds.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:16:13 AM »

That's one buttugly phone Smiley

Of course it is! Wink  However, engrave a Garden of Eden apple on the back of it and it would be the sexiest thing you swear you ever saw!   ROFLMAO

I actually like the slim, smaller form-factor that it has as opposed to the chunky iPhone look.  I think that style will be as fashionable as the 80s cell phone in no time!

@3G is fast enough for me

I thought so too  Smiley

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »

The only really cool thing about those ^ phones is that they an illegal amount of transmission strength. Sure, you'd get brain cancer, but MAN could they pick up a cell. I'll bet you'd peg the needle on 5 bars in the Gobi desert.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 09:43:51 AM »

@3G is fast enough ...

that's exactly why I dont even want to see 4g work yet ... I'm so far away from being able to have it, it would just piss me off.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 12:09:17 PM »

@3G is fast enough ...

that's exactly why I dont even want to see 4g work yet ... I'm so far away from being able to have it, it would just piss me off.

If you happen to find a 4G demo somewhere, I'd suggest avoiding any HD movie previews Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript