The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 08:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MS & HP jump into "insta"-cloud business  (Read 922 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »

Microsoft: http://rcpmag.com/articles/2010/09/01/microsofts-cloud-in-a-box.aspx
HP: http://cloudcomputing.sys-con.com/node/1520802&urlhash=Z-rX&goback=.gde_1962058_news_189445044

I think there's lots of money to be made in this space and at the same time, there's probably more snake oil being sold than simplicity.  The cloud-in-a-box will undoubtedly come with a hefty contract-in-a-box or at least some support plan than winds up being essentially required to effectively use and maintain the hardware:

Just what is the Windows Azure Platform Appliance? It will initially consist of Windows Azure, SQL Azure and a Microsoft-specified configuration of servers, storage and networking gear. The emphasis is on Microsoft-specified. While OEMs Dell Inc., Fujitsu Ltd. and Hewlett-Packard Co. are the first partners that will be offering the Appliance as part of their managed services offerings, Microsoft determines the specs of those Appliances. Not only that, Microsoft remotely manages the Appliances (Undecided), including providing platform software updates. Owners of the Appliances still can develop and deploy applications that run atop those Appliances.

A cloud-in-a-box could literally be a single server with a specific configuration just waiting for someone who knew how to build a cloud to make it a functioning cloud.  Come to think of it, a web server in-a-box is far simpler to mass-produce and I don't think we've seen much success in this department.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:20:34 PM by isthisthingon » Logged

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript