The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 11:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: More Than 50 Android Phones to Ship in 2010  (Read 4278 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »

Love it or hate it, the invasion begins...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/184455/study_more_than_50_android_phones_to_ship_in_2010.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »

It's funny, but I don't see it as an invasion at all. Android, for how it's being used, might as well be *nix or any other OS ... it is so very different in each phone (because, of course, they want to create differentiation) that I don't think it really matters. It's cool, and good on Google for creating and releasing it (or have they...? The argument continues about the fact that they have the new 'droid and are releasing their first phone with code that nobody else is getting yet...) but does it really make any kind of difference to the consumer?

I'm looking forward to seeing one of the vendors (although it will most likely be Google itself) really put Android to the test and create an iPhone competitor - rather than simply duplicating it's current features and handling complaints, like exclusivity or Can't Work On Verizon. IMO only Google has a real shot at an app-store like experience, which will be the real deciding factor I believe.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 05:16:09 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing one of the vendors (although it will most likely be Google itself) really put Android to the test and create an iPhone competitor

I'm more interested in seeing someone (and yes, probably Google) produce something that doesn't even compare itself to iPhones or any other smart phone offering.  What I mean is that Android has the potential to be something completely game changing.  Verizon's Droid is already that attempt to be a better, "smarter," more masculine iPhone based on their marketing.  I think Google plans to build a hand held device that's so incredible and unique that it leapfrogs the iPhone into a new level of personal wireless. 

I'm not certain they will pull this off.  But I'm fairly certain that's their plan.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 05:57:37 PM »

How do you see Android as being more game-changing than the iPhone platform? I think the game's already been changed. Android, being late to the party, is now going to have to play catchup. The essentials of the API that I've looked through suggest that it offers much the same capability as the iPhone, albeit with more access to different interfaces, specifically keyboards and different monitors, and access to as-yet-unforseen devices and radios that droid-based phone makers may choose to install. At the end of the day, the OS may have more phones out there than Apple, but Apple will have more phones than any other single competitor - save perhaps Google, which is the only real contender IMO.

I don't think the OS in and of itself, has the raw beef to be something that is "so beyond" the iPhone that it's incomparable. Frankly, I see it as a way for lots of other competitors to enter the space with Apple and try to scrape up customers that won't buy Apple. All the while, Apple's focus has shifted to another technology (tablet, redux of print media) and I think we're going to see another iPod/Zune scenario.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 08:48:30 PM »

At the end of the day, the OS may have more phones out there than Apple

My guess is the whole smartphone aspect will disappear and the phone part of the equation simply becomes a "program" in the IP world.  When you consider Chrome, Chromium, and Android, the picture becomes clearer.  Well Chrome is a little different here but between Chromium and Android, Google clearly intends to dominate the smartanything market, tablets, netbooks and everything else that's not a full blown PC. 

The game changing aspect that I see as being possible has nothing to do with being a better phone/smartphone than the iPhone.  When it comes to smartphones, that little iPhone is a lot more than I think anyone really even needs.  It even looks and feels fantastic so I just don't think there's a lot of room to leapfrog the iPhone in that exact space that it dominates.  I could, however, imagine something slightly larger with, say, an unfolding or slideout keyboard that - in combination with cloud computing services - becomes the mobile device of choice.  It would also have a phone program, but this would only serve as a final nail in the coffin of feeling obligated to have a cell phone and a wireless carrier.

Yesterday I went to my Christmas party up in Emeryville, CA, just across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco.  Had a wonderful time.  I sat next to the head of engineering who owns an iPhone.  He absolutely loves the thing and was giving me a virtual tour of the bay area on some map program with key points of interest.  I was absolutely blown away after an hour+ sitting there as he whisked through various programs both showing off his iPhone and browsing the net for pertinent info.  He then asked me "so what phone do you use?"  I had a brief flutter of embarrassment since I was about to brandish my pre-pay LG extravaganza  Embarrassed 

I explained that I reject the notion that you must have a contract to own a phone and that I'd snap up an iPhone (or Droid) in a second if the phone aspect could be obtained without any contract.  He's a liberal guy and IMO he's about as genius as they come, so I wasn't too concerned about any negative views about my "principled stance for no contracts."

Anyway, he said "oh, you use that as a phone, of course - I understand.  I'd NEVER use this thing as a phone!"  I laughed so hard and he did too, because it was true and he sees his iPhone as his mobile personal computer, but waited until the very end to admit that he also completely rejects or at least resists the idea of being contractually bound to some "phone" that really should just be a mobile computer with a "phone feature."

We had some 22 year old scotch together and all was merry Smiley

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »

Totally agree that the phone part is a dead tech walking. And really, the iPhone (IMO) was a way of getting a piece of unfamiliar technology (a hand held computer) into people's hands with something they really understand (a phone). And I think you're definitely on the right track with what Apple is calling a "lifestyle device" that facilitates the things we need to do strictly over IP. Not netbooks, the true digital interface.

This is why I am excited for the next couple years. That interface is going to come, and come in a variety of flavors as well.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »

That interface is going to come, and come in a variety of flavors as well.

Ditto

Can't wait Smiley

lamontagne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 05:12:11 AM »

I own a droid, in fact I'm posting this from one. It is fantastic and in the mobile market I see the droid vs iphone simply being just another version of linux vs windows. At the moment the droid is extremley buggy but the os updates are showing signs of improvement. My belief is that droid in its current state is much like linux in its early state, a bit buggy and something that should really only be used by seasoned IT people. I think this would have been a better way to say it than 'the droid is manly and iphone is girly'. But they need to make sales in order for os dev to be worth continuing so they say it in a more friendly way. Had they said, 'the droid is for the serious IT person', they wouldn't have sold many. Because most people will see that and think, 'i suck at computers so that's def not the phone I want'. Also if they said that sales would drop because most of those IT people already have iphones. Some of you may see it diff and say I'm backwards, and that droid=windows in this situation. That is entirely possible since we all know that google is probably the next microsoft. Only time can tell the answer to that question. They are both good phones but as someone who has played with both quite a bit I feel the droid better suits the person who digs technology over user friendliness.

"Long time no see. I only pray the caliber of your questions has improved." - Kevin Smith
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »

Hmm... they are going to do invasion with 50 phones... Well I guess it's good to set realistic goal to sell 50 phones.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »

@ Lamont - no, I think your analogy (('droid==Nix) ! Windows) is accurate - first off, because 'droid is not previously ubiquitous and the framework to beat - second, because it is based on a (pretty much) open standard and is made to be f'reals flexible and extensible. Honestly, I believe that 'droid phones are what will push the market, because although I don't see them innovating the way Apple will, I see them as snuggling right up or sometimes surpassing Apple (for a bit) which always makes Apple go leap out on the edge again, and they they will catch up ad infinitum. This is nothing but good for the consumer, and I applaud it.

The reason, for ITTO who is now wondering, why I don't see 'droid phones as innovating, is because of the manufacturers that use it. I'll use a musical analogy to make my point: When real, consumer-friendly sequencers first came out (early 80s) there was this gigantic uproar that they'd make it so that ANY bonehead could make music that was just like what's on the radio. The unfactored element, was that the same talentless knobs that were making crap before sequencers, had a new tool but were still talentless knobs. And true to form, they could copy what was on the radio (albeit quite poorly, most of the time) but they did not suddenly become brilliant. The same for the telco manufacturers. Just because they have a brilliant API in their hands does not mean that they will suddenly be innovative geniuses. In fact, they've proven time and time and time again that irrespective of what's out there, they can BARELY play catch up.

Google, on the other hand, has a real shot because they are not a telco or phone manufacturer - IMO they have a real shot at throwing some hot new shit out there. It remains to be seen if they can really pull it off, because size alone does not convert a company from a software innovator to a hardware manufacturer overnight. They have a LOT of work to do and a lot of speed bumps to deal with - here, of course, Apple has the clear advantage having the kind of manufacturing track record they have.

I think that the biggest thing about 'droid is that it has wrapped much of what Apple has innovated into a public API. In a very similar way to how Linux wrapped Unix up into a public package. Again, this is just nothing but good for the consumer. To wrap up my earlier analogy into what really happened: although boneheads were capable of more because of sequencers, in the hands of a master, and, frankly, listening to what boneheads could do, real musical masters were able to accomplish WAY more than they had ever imagined as well. And thus, the caliber of contemporary music was enhanced by the new tool.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 01:12:44 PM »

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/google-debuts-android-powered-nexus-one-superphone/

<added>
And Mossberg blesses it...
http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100105/googles-nexus-one-is-bold-new-face-in-super-smartphones/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:16:44 PM by rcjordan » Logged
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »

>Google Debuts Android-Powered Nexus One ‘Superphone’

Yep - looks nice.  I can't wait for a month-to-month data plan.  T-Mobile is the default player and you're looking at 2-years time in the cell slammer to get one.  T-Mobile is way more appetizing than AT&T but 2-years Huh?

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 06:39:17 PM »

Well, More Than 50 Android Phones May Ship in 2010 but ain't but ONE of them got center-front billing on Google.com

I'm looking at
"Experience Nexus One, the new Android phone from Google" centered just below the Feeling Lucky button.

Man, I'd like to be getting $50 CPM for that slot.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »

“People wouldn’t like [ads on the homepage]. We prioritize the end user over the advertiser.” – Google CEO Eric Schmidt, August 2009

Google: We Prioritize the End User Over the Advertiser, Unless We’re the Advertiser

Mossberg's group is razzin' G about that product placement:

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100107/google-we-prioritize-the-end-user-over-the-advertiser-unless-we%E2%80%99re-the-advertiser/
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 01:50:30 PM »

Funny thing but I'm with Google on this... this is so rare you want to mark down Cheesy

But about the issue: It is Google's property. They can do what the fuck they please with it. I can't stand people crying in that blog's comments how FTC should investigate because it's "wrong use of monopoly". What the fuck? It's their website and their product. It's like saying Apple can't advertise iTunes on their iPhone. No wait, it's the only way to sync iPhone to Mac and nobody is crying. Fucking hypocrites. It's not like they are saying that in order to use Google services you have to buy the phone. This is nothing like IE issue with Microsoft while back. God I fucking hate people crying about these type of things.

You have a choice. You can stop using Google services at any point. In fact I urge you to do it. You'll thank me in 10 years.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript