The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft gets HTC to pay royalties over Android patent threats  (Read 1025 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/60595?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2010-04-28

Yesterday, Microsoft announced that it would be collecting royalties from HTC for its intellectual property used in Android phones. This marks Microsoft's first public statement that singles out Android particularly as an offender. Microsoft is not just lumping in Android as part of its broader claims against Linux generally, sources say. 

In talking to folks in the know, the story I've been told is that Microsoft approached HTC and said it would much rather license than litigate, but if HTC didn't want to cough up the royalties, it would find itself battling Microsoft in court, just like it is now battling Apple. What's a poor device manufacturer to do? HTC bowed and agreed to pay license fees and sources say it was a one-way agreement. Microsoft isn't licensing any of HTC's patent portfolio in return. Microsoft is not being specific as to which features, functionality it believes Android and HTC violates.

From the horse's mouth:

"Microsoft Corp. and HTC Corp. have signed a patent agreement that provides broad coverage under Microsoft’s patent portfolio for HTC’s mobile phones running the Android mobile platform. Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will receive royalties from HTC."

Finally, the harm Microsoft has endured by having their intellectual property stolen from them can be compensated  Roll Eyes  Vomit

Any wonder why I get fired up about this stuff?  What a crock.  Please stop supporting it.  Need Help  Don't worry, even if we all tried our best to kill IP laws forever they couldn't possibly be totally eradicated from society.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »

"Microsoft has a decades-long record of investment in software platforms. As a result, we have built a significant patent portfolio in this field, and we have a responsibility to our customers, partners, and shareholders to ensure that competitors do not free ride on our innovations.  We have also consistently taken a proactive approach to licensing to resolve IP infringement by other companies, and have been talking with several device manufacturers to address our concerns relative to the Android mobile platform."

Hmmm.  Sounds awfully familiar Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript