The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 16, 2019, 05:10:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft continues to take a beating, from the enemy within...  (Read 1447 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:52:18 AM »

A sample:

"...we're hearing things I thought I'd never hear from good old proprietary Microsoft. Since Microsoft became the dominant Microsoft, you would have thought no one in Redmond, Seattle and possibly the entire Washington state had ever heard of or used an operating system other than Windows. That was certainly true of the Gate's philosophy era."

And this amazing concession, from the great beast of proprietary:

"We see open source as an unstoppable phenomenon... embraced by developers across the world..."

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/44104?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2009-08-05

Cheers open source!  Go free software!!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:15:58 AM »

I don't know if that article covers it but a few weeks ago MS also mentioned that profit margins in the cloud were going to be very thin by comparison to the past.   Heh, I thought at the time that they are in for a rude awakening as to just how thin margins are -like the newspaper industry is just now realizing about web publishing.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:25:56 PM »

I don't know if that article covers it but a few weeks ago MS also mentioned that profit margins in the cloud were going to be very thin by comparison to the past.

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Violin Violin Violin

My feeling is that Microsoft (along with the remaining predatory licensing folks) will eventually level out to see their earnings more closely aligned with the value they create.  It's a good thing but for the glutinous vampires of capitalism this period of adjustment has to be unnerving.  I wonder if Microsoft, Apple, etc. will be nimble enough to reinvent themselves in time to remain dominant players.

It's not just open source / free software.  Cloud computing is doing what electricity did in the early 1900s when people shifted from self-managed power that drove factories to plugging into the grid.  Microsoft selling the latest & greatest server software means squat if you can get out of the self-managed IT game and pay a service to handle everything for you.  I think the cloud "revolution" will take longer to turn the entire industry upside down but it's coming.  The programmable web opened doors that can never be shut again and the rate of web 2.0 expansion is mind blowing.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 12:29:58 PM »

Oracle has the razor thin margins on the cloud covered.

They just count up all the processors in the cloud and charge you for each one!

lol j/k, I don't know. Wouldn't surprise me though.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript