The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:39:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meego tablet - first public demo  (Read 1145 times)
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:45:45 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVIKYF7MOzU

Check it out. I think it looks pretty damn good. Design is very appleish. Let's hope they can cut down the screen glare because that looks like a nightmare to read in bright sunlight.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:58:02 AM by kurdt » Logged

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:55:55 AM »

The UI looked clunky and skipish to me. Definitely a wannabe. Finger tracking looked poor and his comment to the question, "will it be always on, like an iPad" "it will be a fast boot" denotes a more netbook like experience than pad. They clearly want to drape themselves in the look of Apple, but it didn't look anything near the same caliber to me.

And I don't see any value in it physically looking like an iPad. On a plane or walking about, the mental note would be, "that guy's got an iPad" rather than "Hey, what's that?" If all they want to do is pick up customer falloff from the iPad because it's less expensive then maybe ... but if they want to be a product on their own two feet they'll need their own buzz and identity.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »

Well they have same style wannabe Apple UI in Nokia new phones. Nokia don't really have capability of doing beautiful industrial design so I think it's pretty good choice to piggyback on Apple in this. My gut feeling is that first they just want to piggyback on iPad's fame but probably will try to do something unique with second gen model. Interesting thing is that this device will most likely have more powerful javascript engine than iPad which is nothing short of killer feature to me. Specs say it uses 4.6 QtWebkit and QtWebkit got SquirrelFish Extreme at version 4.5. If Apple doesn't update Squirrelfish to Squirrelfish Extreme (Nitro) in OS4, I'm not sure if I want to get iPad. Latest benchmarks I have seen shows that iDevice's javascript performance is really shitty which could be done on purpose to make webapps look slow.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:57:16 AM by kurdt » Logged

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript