The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 09:47:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manly Droid Strikes Back: New Ads Dismiss iPhone  (Read 3510 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:08:38 PM »

Here's the ad.  It's short and I found it interesting, in a lame-tard sort of way:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLDxv9ohH2s  Here's the PC World article reviewing the ad: http://www.pcworld.com/article/183720/manly_droid_strikes_back_new_ads_dismiss_iphone.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

I agree with its final comment: "By obsessing over image, Verizon is just as guilty of what it appears to be mocking."

However, going after the iPhone as the device for princesses isn't half bad from a marketing perspective IMO.  It may infuriate Apple and iPhone enthusiasts but after all, that's the point.  But even if it's effective it's disgusting as hell and shines a bright light on one of the more despicable aspects of capitalism.  It's a UFC marketing campaign that could care less about us and what would be a better choice for us to make.

I really dislike the Microsoft ads with the cheaper laptop than Apple approach.  I also think the Apple ads claiming that you should not ask what Vista can do for you but what you can do for Vista are childish and terrible.  But "Android" is thankfully not the Verizon "Droid"!  The Verizon Droid is just another iPhone-like attempt to ambush itself some wireless market share.  What a miserable game we're expected to play! 

Have I mentioned the concept of pre-pay before?  Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:07:05 PM »

Saw those as well. "iPhone is feminine?" Well, based on the demographics if Apple vs. Motorola loyalists, this might make sense while playing to the base -  but it's really damn funny. IMO anyone that would believe that drivel is already in droid's camp, so I see it as a wash - because I don't see many people THAT worried about their masculinity that the ad would convert them from iPhone to Verizon. Kind of silly, actually. Much like my take (after I finally saw one) of the "Can your phone do that" ads from Apple about checking email while talking on the phone ... although it's a cool feature and I personally like it, to say that the ad fell flat would be hugely generous. A BIG so what ad, really. Not their finest moment, by a long shot.

@ "What can you do for Vista" - I din't see those ... do you have a link that I could catch them?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:05:31 AM »

Hmm, average Joe must he quite low self-esteem if he falls for that. I like the ads visual presentation but it sucked as ad. When it ended I didn't know a single feature, I just knew they wanted me to be a robosexual and love a robot instead of princess.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:09:47 AM »

because I don't see many people THAT worried about their masculinity that the ad would convert them from iPhone to Verizon.

Agree completely.  In fact, lowering the bar to attacking masculinity is actually a sign of desperation.  Fierce competition from a corp with deep pockets (Verizon) with no other viable ideas to attempt to gain market share from.  It's totally embarrassing for Verizon IMO.  But since when did anyone care about anything more than market share?  Let's face it, disgusting as it is, it will probably work wonders for the insecure young straight male segment that owns iPhones primarily for their membership into the club of cool.  They do exist, for far less valuable products in fact.  The iPhone has great value and cool appeal.

But the thing I think is smart about it is it uses something equally as ridiculous as selling "cool" to attempt a Jujitsu maneuver to fear the insecure into their "more masculine" camp.  It's the dirty underbelly of marketing that plays like a crooked Olympic game yet winds up changing our world in so many significant ways

I'm a huge fan of the Apple marketing that focuses on their core strengths, not the other guy.  They don't even have to say the obvious such as "think about it, why shouldn't it just work perfectly and intuitively out of the box.  I've never heard of a company that does this as well as Apple.  This is interesting in another way as well.  Historically the Microsofts (IBM, etc.) have spent money, time and energy trying to discredit Apple as a bad choice.  I guess they skipped business 101 that shows conclusively that the best approach is to not even acknowledge a severe underdog.  So Microsoft has played a key part in validating the Mac user experience by even acknowledging their existence as a viable competitor.  Now the tables are turned in a sense.  Apple IS a viable competitor.  In fact they completely dominate certain demographic segments that no other company on the planet can currently touch.  Apple truly commands a monopoly, called Apple.  It's not yet acknowledged as a standard business "monopoly" but I believe this is because the definitions are too far behind the technology world.  Apple has just as much of a monopoly on Apple as Disney has on Disney.  There's just no room for another Apple or Disney on this planet - considering our average lifespan. 

IMO, a better approach would be to ignore the Mac as even on the same playing field and simply lump them into some "nice looking but terribly impractical" options bucket.  But again, this is all marketing football BS that does nothing to improve anything for us.  It's just a game that piques my interest as does chess.  But in this interesting game the innocent non-technical people lose out.  And you know I'm an advocate for the misguided.

>robosexual  ROFLMAO

FYI - Here's the ad I was talking about: http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac_ads4/podium_480x376.mov

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 05:03:35 AM »

Hmm, average Joe must he quite low self-esteem if he falls for that. I like the ads visual presentation but it sucked as ad. When it ended I didn't know a single feature, I just knew they wanted me to be a robosexual and love a robot instead of princess.
Obviously u never sold shit like penis pills and adult dating online.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »

@ Ask not - I remember it now - I looked it up and that was a 2007 commercial, deployed during the heat of the campaigns. It's essentially meaningless today, but it was surrounded by other political ads so I think that topically it probably worked well - the lying politician reference, etc. Suffers the same fate as much of the humor in Blazing Saddles today, being so bound to that moment.

@ ignore: totally agree. Although I also think you're right about small-minded young adolescents that want to be hip switching, I don't think the macho ads are meaningful or going to be a big motivator. Verizon has some awesome things it could play with: AT&T sucks, Droid is new, even a few apps that aren't on the iPhone (although this is going to be a tough play - they predict that Apple will top 300K apps this year). There are excellent ways to show superiority and real reasons for change with resorting to that kind of, as you say and I agree, desperate angle.

Tell you the truth - I'd not want to be in an ad campaign war against Apple for anything that it was dominant on. They are *really* good. Verizon et al are going to have a helluva job in front of them.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »

Personally I find the ad distasteful. There is loud annoying noise, stupid images etc.
Lack of specific information in advertisement etc.
Based on that probably the ad will be highly successful.

My wife likes the ad a lot.
If you actually watch the ad, from a woman perspective that makes sense.
The iphone is referred to as a "beauty queen", shit is being thrown at the beauty queen.

How many women blame their lost job, not getting a promotion etc on some "beauty queen".
So subconsciously the woman want to throw shit at "beauty queen".

Also from the male perspective. How many times did a man get snubbed by a "beauty queen" in the bar etc.
Or some stuck up bitch who thinks she should get what ever she wants because she is pretty ?

Bottom line is 90% of people are insecure. Playing into that insecurity gets sales.
Also the ad does not mention specifics, very smart.

Whether iphone or robot is a better product has nothing to do with the equation.
And again robot does not have to "beat" iphone, just has to get a chunk of the market.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »

How many women blame their lost job, not getting a promotion etc on some "beauty queen".
So subconsciously the woman want to throw shit at "beauty queen".

Nice nop.  I didn't consider that perspective and I think that's right on.  In fact, now that I think about it there really is no popular support from men or women for the concept of a "beauty queen."  Also a beauty queen is nothing but a pretty, privileged human shell with no brains.  The implication is that the iPhone is pompous, pretty to look at and if you were smart enough, you'd be capable of realizing that under the hood it's inferior to the Droid.  This is a double attack on pride.  You're either a metrosexual or don't have the mental horsepower to realize you've been "duped" by an ultimately inferior phone.

But as we've all commented on this thread, these things have ziltch to do with reality and everything to do with a marketing football game.  In one corner you have massive amounts of essentially endless capital (the Verizons and others riding on Android) and in the other corner you've got one of the greatest all time masters of marketing - fighting on their own.  There's an underdog element to that which makes me actually root for Apple on some levels.  Well more accurately, it makes me want to see brilliance beat bank.  Let's face it, it's one of the reasons it's been so much more fun to root for anyone who's better at something than Microsoft yet underpowered in the pocket. 

When the brilliant hard working underdog wins it gives us a brief feeling of relief.  I believe this is partially because it gives false validity to our completely flawed assertions regarding free markets.  We like to kid ourselves and pretend that the free market will bubble up the best products (if unregulated) and that those with inferior offerings will get Darwined  out of the gene pool.  The free market, IP laws and the rest of the elitist shell games we happily parrot the assertions of are nothing but a stubborn downward pressure on innovation and stifle the equitable distribution of deserved wealth.

Smiley

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 09:52:13 PM »

Well said ITTO.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 10:15:30 PM »

When the brilliant hard working underdog wins it gives us a brief feeling of relief.  I believe this is partially because it gives false validity to our completely flawed assertions regarding free markets.
Why our assertions of free markets are flawed is because all theorists fail to take one think into account. "Human Emotion".
All of the economic models assume that consumers will purchase a product because it is "better" etc.
They fail to take into account that just by making the consumer think the product is better ......

I was thinking about the ad while i was eating lunch.
I also remember the comment isthisthingon made about japanese men going to a club just to admire beautiful women.
I can not remember the name of the book off hand, but it is about how culture affects advertising by their "values".
So this ad might be affective in USA, but in japan it might not be affective.

For starters there is a lot of hidden violence in the clip.
A large missle flashing across the screen, that could symbolize a penis
Then like 10 seconds later a beautiful stuck up flash of a woman.
According to this book, americans associate sex with violence. He uses the example
banged,screwed etc are american slang terms for sex.
while other cultures use different metaphores.

Another problem is that verizon and apple both a running a series of ad campains.
It is very difficult to gauge what ads are effective.
Big problem also is that most people when surved lie. The only way to gauge how effective an ad is by what the consumer does.

serialnoob
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 09:37:49 AM »

The only way to gauge how effective an ad is by what the consumer does.

yes,

As for the process that actually leads to the launch or choice of a particular ad campaign rather than another, the client generally has to make a choice between only a few story boards. At some point this choice becomes final like "press the button and see what happens". Based on how we perceive the end result, we just can think "wtf did the ad co have in mind when they offered this?" or the client when they oked it. Joe buys or not, or most of the time, wishes he could.

To me Apple is in this position (virtual monopoly, religion may be?) because I perceive them as always being the first to innovate, create the trend, etc. The others can only follow then. But it is only my perception motivated by things like, my first computer was a mac etc... I will always have a natural tendency to think apple is cool. but is it?

ITTO: "membership into the club of"
Gibson vs Fender
BMW vs Mercs
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:50:05 AM by serialnoob » Logged

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 05:56:44 PM »

To me Apple is in this position (virtual monopoly, religion may be?) because I perceive them as always being the first to innovate, create the trend, etc. The others can only follow then. But it is only my perception motivated by things like, my first computer was a mac etc... I will always have a natural tendency to think apple is cool. but is it?

ITTO: "membership into the club of"
Gibson vs Fender
BMW vs Mercs
Every product has a "religion" behind it.
How people can think apple has a monopoly, I have no idea Smiley. 25% of market share is not a monopoly Smiley

Way back in 198X in "Ogilvy on Advertising" he stated that he no longer thought it possible to have huge brand monopolies. Example he gave was "Tide Detergent".
For starters the actual difference between the "worst" detergent and the "best" detergent in cleaning power is less then 5%.
So advertising will make a huge difference.

I like the BMW vs Mercs comparison.
Both are cars. Both are german. Both are high priced. I will assume both are good cars Smiley.
But both cars will appeal to a different market demographic.

This IPhone will get a majority market share of the smart phone market, or Android will kik iphones ass is total BS IMHO.
IPhone caters to a certain demographic. As long as they make that demographic happy they will be successful.

Android is coming into the market.
Lets say that they are after the "anti beauty queen" demographic.

So after it is all said and done IPhone gets a 25% market share, and android gets a 20% market share.
Both will be highly successful companies.

IPhone and Android can fuk things up by trying to expand thier market share into places that are not part of thier demographic.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 10:23:27 PM »

100% agree Nop. People want to belong, and be able to point at the others. My iPhone over your piece of shit Droid. My manly Droid over your faggy underpowered Apple POS. Democrats, Repubs. Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims ... you name it - hell even college rivalries look like this.

Apple is already wildly successful, and no matter how much market share any one vendor gets with a Droid, it won't knock Apple out - it'll push other, lesser phones out. And they'll both be massively popular and profitable, and they'll also both have frothy-mouthed fanbois.

All that said, Apple is better  Roll Eyes  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript