The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:25:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: look at the nook  (Read 10263 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »

After reading a vs post this morning I decided to look into the nook.  At first glance,

How totally sweet!

For the spec minded: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/features/techspecs/
For the sizzle appeal: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp (360 tour)

"Directly load & read PDFs" - I'm getting one someday just for that alone.  I've got maaaaaasive PDF libraries that I'd love to consolidate.  And it takes a trained eye to even notice this little difference between its rival the Kindle: (at the bottom of the product comparison page: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/)

"Other" Features
Android™ Operating System:   first Android™-based eReader

Android is not an iPhone killer: it's a platform 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »

Shameless plug (not self-promotion)

http://www.gutenberg.org/

TONS of free public-domain works. Many, many worthy reads in there.

--A few must-read suggestions from VSloathe--

Thomas Paine:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/p#a91
Susan B. Anthony:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/a#a33080
Fyodor Dostoevsky:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/d#a314
Bertrand Russell:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/r#a355
R. W. Emerson:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/e#a1071

hai
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »

I have to say, that is pretty fucking sweet. I'm gonna get one of those soon Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »

May I suggest that unless you need one RIGHT NOW, you might consider waiting for the Apple tablet - well, not even necessarily to purchase, but to see exactly what it is/does. Given the rumors I think it's going to kick the crap out of this and the Kindle, because it can actually be both with a better interface and better graphics.

That said, this is a nicer looking one than the Kindle I think and the native PDF viewer is a good touch and most important. That makes this more of an abstract platform for reading than a Read My Books Only platform.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:08:52 AM »

Also does 3G, just sayin'

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:40:54 AM »

Natch, this just out from Apple Insider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/21/latest_apple_tablet_speculation_covers_digital_comic_books.html

I'm tellin' ya ... everyone else is playing catchup. Apple is absolutely in the avante garde and is going to change up digital reading content like it did musical content. For better or worse, like it or not: IMO, purchasing a reader now will be a waste of money in 3 months unless you really really want exactly that product.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »

>3G

Better known as FreeG Wink  There's no way the Apple tablet will let you browse for free.  They'll force you to have a contract, plan, and monthly dues in order to also utilize the eBook functionality.  Otherwise Apple would need 2 distinct wireless EIDs per tablet so when you wanted just an eBook it would be free of charge and otherwise it would cost you for browsing.  Somehow I just don't see Apple giving you free anything.  But if I'm wrong, and you can buy a tablet without having to establish an account with some wireless provider first before downloading FREE eBooks, then bad itto for assuming.

But for only $259 list price, if your main desire is for eBooks the tablet would most likely be a larger upfront cost as well.  Sure B&N's profit picture includes users downloading new books at $9.99 per.  But the wireless 3G is completely on their dime and they have over 500,000 free books and magazines to download, for free.  Did I say free?  Nice move B&N (never thought I'd say that one!)

No contract, no captivity, no evil. Police

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 12:22:41 PM »

i agree. the Nook is pretty fucking sweet. I am considering getting one for my Dad. Apple tablet would be overkill for him.
Plus, its got android, which means it should be expandable.

But the big thing is the dual screen. When I saw that, did a HUGE  D'oh!

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »

Um, who exactly is providing the "FreeG" here?

3G is a network modality, whereas Apple is selling a piece of hardware. If you purchase a product with a 3G antenna, then you'll need a provider to provide the service. This will certainly come with restrictions, just like any phone service would (sign up today for free but it'll cost you 3 years in contract) ... all of these requirements and restrictions are the phone company's, not Apple's.

There is discussion in some of the rumor threads that Apple will only put WiFi on their table so as to avoid contracts with telco carriers entirely - this may well be a double edged sword. Personally, if they had one that was WiFi only and 3G (but no other benefit) I'd purchase WiFi only and use my MiFi for external service. And yes, with the exception of the purchase price, this modality is also "free."

The AT&T deal is certainly something with a sunset. That's got to be an intro deal. If they are providing the 3G service then eventually, it is in their interest to lock you in. You'll pay in one way or another eventually. <edit>If it is always free, then you will be paying for it in book revenues or something. But the AT&T beast must be fed.</edit>

I believe absolutely that an Apple tablet will not be just a reader, but reading content will be one of the highlights. Certainly it'll be a browser, have, at the very least, the ability to run either iPhone apps or OSX native apps (depends on the deployment: full OS or iPhone OS?) and be cool out the wazoo.

I'm not Apple evangelizing here, only offering that as soon as Apple hits the street with their tablet, there will be all kinds of vendors playing catch up once again to add Apple's newly displayed technology in their devices ... and much to your enjoyment ITTO, probably for less.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:30:26 PM by perkiset » Logged

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:35:51 PM »

@ Nuts - what do you mean "dual screen?" I'm not getting that...

All the above said, the touch screen and Android could well be a platform that rocks. Particularly since it's backed by a bricks and mortar store - the real killer there is you can walk in and get help ... buy a book ... combining the physical experience with the virtual is hot.

Oh wait - you must mean the color one on the bottom and the shades-of-gray monitor on top, I getcha. Interesting, but ultimately limited, doncha think? I mean, with that, you'll not be able to use Android to turn the entire thing into a real browser... which would have been really killer.

Evolutionary, but not vastly significant IMO.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:37:27 PM »

Natch, this just out from Apple Insider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/21/latest_apple_tablet_speculation_covers_digital_comic_books.html

I'm tellin' ya ... everyone else is playing catchup. Apple is absolutely in the avante garde and is going to change up digital reading content like it did musical content. For better or worse, like it or not: IMO, purchasing a reader now will be a waste of money in 3 months unless you really really want exactly that product.

Now comic books are a different story.  Maximizing the display size advantage will give Apple an edge.  But why fight so hard for something larger than a nook yet smaller than a netbook?  I could see the Apple tablet (if it even exists) holding its own as a virtual coloring book for kids.  But since Apple refuses to even announce the existence of this alleged tablet I'd feel quite foolish making financial plans around vaporware

There is a downside to generating excitement about "top-secret" products IMO.  Sure Apple can make last minute changes to be perfectly "ahead of the game."  Not hard to do when your position is undisclosed.  Come right out and say what you're up to and THEN claim the avante garde trophy

@free:
Um, who exactly is providing the "FreeG" here?

AT&T ROFLMAO

Download books in seconds.

* Free wireless from Barnes & Noble via AT&T, the nation's fastest 3G network. *
    * Wi-Fi ( 802.11 b/g).
    * Free Wi-Fi in all Barnes & Noble stores.

and

Download eBooks instantly with nook's wireless 3G connection. There's no set-up required, just turn on your nook and start browsing.  All your airtime fees are on us.  It's that simple.

Sorry meng, you're speaking about how things used to be, not how they are now Smooch

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:44:02 PM »

Yea the color screen, in addition to the e-ink screen.
People think in color, and shop in color. I think a major issue with the kindle is that limitation. To shop in color you have to be online on your puter.
Funniest thing is people buying kindle books on with their iPhone...

Also, the color touch screen gives the ability to remove all the excess buttons from the case, unlike the kindle which has a shitload (yes its a qwerty keyboard but you get the point). And also provide a dynamic interface without gumming up your reading screen.

ATT of course is getting paid, but its a slice of the book sales fee. (question is how long the BN/ATT agreement is for)
And it will probably use wifi whenever around, which really means it will rarely end up using ATT anyway in most situations.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »

Will the Apple tablet use eInk? Not interested otherwise. This is an ebook reader.

I want a device whose battery lasts for ten days for reading books. Anything less is not a suitable replacement for dead tree books, imo.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 12:55:54 PM »

Just got off the phone with AT&T because I really wanted the details on this.

The 3G is used exclusively for book downloads and there are no plans for a browser. It looks to be indefinite and essentially B&N is picking up the tab for the limited 3G inside it's book sales. It's a nominal cost compared to normal 3G because the traffic shape is restricted (so AT&T tells me).

So although said badly earlier, you are paying for it in a way: A) you only get to use it to purchase books and B) the cost of that little pipe will be borne inside of the books that you purchase. That's just not even comparable to the Apple model which is why I'm after it.

@ vaporware and the downside: absolutely. The problem is that if you want to keep cache´ up you'd certainly better have something at the end of the day. If Apple has spent all of this time in hiding to work on just another reader the backlash may be profound. The only conclusion I can draw is from the whisperings from Apple: The project has been officially scrapped and rebooted more than 3 times because technology and software did not create something that was worthy of a Jobsian stamp of approval. Much like the iPhone, being a completely new type of tech it is probably under huge work and will not be released until it is pretty damn ready. Like you say however, this has both an up and downside.

All that said, unlike so many other companies that have announced and then fall short, Apple learned that lesson (seemingly) quite a while ago and now has a tendency to announce when they're ready, rather than announce their intentions. To me this is great: if I hear about it, it means it's f'reals.

@ Free 3G, WiFi and free WiFi in B&N stores: well, as described above it's really not free 3G. It's a free way to purchase their books. Big difference. And WiFi is free (unless the local provider charges you) - and just like free WiFi in B&N stores, Apple stores provide it free as well  ROFLMAO that whole component of the argument is really rather smoke.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 12:58:54 PM »

Who sits around in an Apple store though? Until they install a Starbucks (so all the Mac users can leave people who just want some coffee alone), I don't see the comparison.

hai
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript