The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 08:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Logitech Harmony 1000 - One of the worst products I have ever seen  (Read 4561 times)
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2009, 06:59:52 AM »

Oh where do I begin with this piece of shit remote. I have a hometheatre so I have a lot of different devices. It's nice when you have universal remote and since I'm a gadget freak, I love all these universal remotes. I happened to buy Logitech Harmony 1000 some time ago because Logitech was getting praised for their "activities" logic over Philips Pronto's diy logic.

The end result is that with Harmony 1000 it's more frustrating to use my hometheatre than ever before. It also takes a lot longer to get the job done than with individual remotes. FYI, I haven't applied any hacks, tricks or tips to my Harmony 1000. It's configured with the software which is one of the worst also I have ever seen bundled with a device. It requires online access to configure your universal remote, it's done with Java (I think) and it's not very convenient. I almost lost my temper when I couldn't remember by username and password and couldn't edit the settings for my remote. For fuck sake if I buy a remote, you can't expect me to have internet connection if I want to actually configure it.

Back to the great logic of "Activities". Activities are basically a sequences of signals your remote does, like "Watch TV" and it takes care of powering tv, switching inputs, etc. Logitech's Activities were suppose to be smart and know which devices you have used before and state of them so you avoid unnecessary off/on behavior. Now I have a situation that only ONE of my 4 activities function properly... no wait, actually even that one has one problem that I need to almost always fix. So in normal usage 0/4 activities actually do everything automated. I just tried to change back to digital TV from my media center (iStar standalone player)... For some weird reason Logitech changes my TV to analog tuner because it doesn't realize that if it pressed Tuner mode the last time it operated the TV, it's going to change from digital to analog now. Then for some unknown reason it doesn't change my receiver's input to TV but instead it does nothing. So now I'm watching snowstorm from my analog tuner and listening the sounds from mediapc input. This happens with all the activities...

But wait! There's more! Logitech wanted to be smart and included convenient Help function on the top of the screen. When you press it, it starts to guess what's gone wrong by asking you questions like "Is the TV on?" and you answer Yes or No. Then it tries to fix the situation. However it's great when it asks if the iStar is on before it tries to fix receiver input. In the digital age there really isn't a reason not to use receiver's HDMI passthrough capabilities to minimize the input selection in the TV. So Logitech's "smart" remote doesn't understand this basic concept of how people connect their devices. It doesn't even try to understand the correct sequence when modifying devices and I'm not even sure if it's possible to adjust. The software doesn't allow customizing much so anybody who has used Pronto's software is going to have a rough ride.

Overall, this product is fucking crap, like Logitech's products usually are. For example I have had two Logitech's highend mouses, MX1000 and Revolution MX. Both recharging docks are now pretty much useless. These's some problems with the contact material they use with power pins that's been used to load the thing. They just don't connect properly and you always have to try to find the correct position for the mouse in the dock so it actually recharges and that can take anywhere from 30-2 minutes... really frustrating when you are in a hurry.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:02:42 AM by kurdt » Logged

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:45:31 AM »

The problem with mice seems to be planned obsolescence. Everyone has the same problems at about 2 years.

The remotes I think are meant for people who think that the help function is "actually" helpful. My remote panics when I change the batteries and ask some shit like "did the world end? Do you need a tutorial?"

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:47:11 AM »

That's unfortunate to hear your experience Kurdt ...  I have the complete opposite experience. I have a Harmony 1 "Advanced"

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/3898&cl=us,en

...and love it. It controls our Sony TV, Apple TV, Bose sound/CD/DVD, Tivo HD and cable channels. With the exception of occasionally not turning off the Bose (pretty rare) it does exactly what it is supposed to and has allowed us to put away the other remotes.

Have you talked to them about it?

re. mice: I hate wireless and have not had good experiences with MS or Logitech mice. So I'm wired (it's still a logitech) and it works fine. They all piss me off.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
lamontagne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:22:54 AM »

That's unfortunate to hear your experience Kurdt ...  I have the complete opposite experience. I have a Harmony 1 "Advanced"

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/3898&cl=us,en

...and love it. It controls our Sony TV, Apple TV, Bose sound/CD/DVD, Tivo HD and cable channels. With the exception of occasionally not turning off the Bose (pretty rare) it does exactly what it is supposed to and has allowed us to put away the other remotes.

Have you talked to them about it?

re. mice: I hate wireless and have not had good experiences with MS or Logitech mice. So I'm wired (it's still a logitech) and it works fine. They all piss me off.

Same here. I love the harmony.

As for mice I use a logitech trackman wheel (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/166&cl=US,EN) and I will never use another mouse as long as I like. The trackball takes a bit to get used to but once you do, it fucking rocks. I have used about 3 of them (they last about 2 years per mouse, after that the buttons begin to give out and you have to mash them down to get a click registered). I cant stand any mouse now that has to physically be moved around on a mat...

"Long time no see. I only pray the caliber of your questions has improved." - Kevin Smith
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:26:37 AM »

Yeah, I have been reading these positive experiences and that's why I originally bought the thing. Now I have tried to start over 2 times and reconfigure it but it still can't manage my simple setup. I usually tend to belief that the fault is in me instead of the product but in this case I have to say that the fault is in the product definitely. The screen has also very slow response time with touch which also makes it really slow to use even if it worked properly.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:31:08 AM »

I don't even see a "1000" at their website ... do you have a URL you can point me to so I can see one? Perhaps it's just *that* particular remote...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:54 AM »

I don't even see a "1000" at their website ... do you have a URL you can point me to so I can see one? Perhaps it's just *that* particular remote...
http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-controls/logitech-harmony-1000/4505-7900_7-32068854.html

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 10:05:49 AM »

Ah one of those ... saw them but din't think the complexities of my rig required it.

It's a good looking thing, but a drag if it sux.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 10:09:28 AM »

Ah one of those ... saw them but din't think the complexities of my rig required it.

It's a good looking thing, but a drag if it sux.
Should have guessed when the pricetag said $230 something and the cheapest Philips Pronto costs like $500 or something. I mean they use Prontos in Stargåte series for christ sake! In distant planets!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript