The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 11:36:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Liberian Laws Are A Secret Due To Copyright; Even The Gov't Doesn't Have Them?  (Read 1325 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091120/1429427030.shtml

We've seen a few ridiculous cases whereby local governments claim copyright on a law, but it's still stunning to see what's going on in Liberia. Tom sends in the news that no one knows what the law covers in Liberia, because one man, leading a small group of lawyers, claims to hold the copyright on the laws of the country and won't share them unless people (or, rather, the government of Liberia) is willing to pay. Oh, and did we mention that the US government paid for some of this?

Not that the "laws" of Liberia hold much intrinsic value.  But it's pretty funny to see what the rest of the world does in attempt to copycat the western approach to "IP".  Let's face it, Jefferson was right.  Trying to "own" an idea is like trying to "own" oxygen. 

When I was a little kid I asked my parents a question when they were going to fill up a leaky tire with air at a gas station.  They did it and we continued driving - without paying a cent for the air.  I asked them: "you mean you can just fill up your tire for free?" and my oldest brother said "sure itto - why not???"  I answered: "because it's their air."

He laughed himself silly.  The funny thing is that these days he would probably switch places with me and stand for the rights of "oxygen owners"  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:54:38 PM »

Very brilliant.
When i become supreme dictator of the world, saviour of humanity, supreme being who everyone loves etc.
I will make a similar constitution.

Then i can charge people.
When the people ponder what thier charges are, well i will not be able to reveal them since they will be covered under the DCMA act.
Obviously people who question these charges and make statements they are innocent are guilty of breaking DCMA.
Just by making the statement they have broken none of my benevolent, loving, wonderful laws makes them guilty.
The only way the horrid people could know this is if they violated DCMA.

Makes perfect sense.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=cp_fmr7si6kv8&show_article=1

Canada's official spy souvenir shop off limits to ordinary citizens

OTTAWA - Canada's official spy souvenir shop is the perfect complement to the country's official spy museum.

They're both top-secret facilities that are strictly off limits to ordinary Canadians and tourists.

Word of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service's museum, featuring espionage cameras, micro-transmitters and other paraphernalia from the Cold War, leaked to the media years ago.

But a newly released document indicates CSIS also runs a non-profit "souvenir shop," available only to those with proper security clearance.

"For individuals wishing to purchase items from the Souvenir Shop, they can do so by stating what they want and putting the money in an envelope," say the minutes of a meeting of energy experts at CSIS headquarters in Ottawa.

The document was obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

The museum's still-classified exhibits are locked in showcases inside a security vault, some of them not to be viewed even by loyal members of the spy service.

But in a nod to the modern world, the agency has since posted a virtual tour on its website, highlighting items such as a toy truck that conceals a microdot reader and codebook. The captions are coy, revealing not even the country of origin (http://www.csis- scrs.gc.ca/en/about-us/history-artifacts/default.as p).

Ordinary Canadians, however, are denied even a virtual peep into the souvenir shop, a small store at headquarters open only to CSIS employees.

An agency spokeswoman says the wares for sale don't include junior spymaster trinkets such as shoe-phones, decoder rings or snow-globes with hidden microphones.

"There's a variety of office-related items that can be purchased," Manon Berube said in an interview. "CSIS memorabilia such as mugs, pens, T-shirts, things like that with the CSIS crest," including golf balls.

The distinctive blue-and-gold crest is a stylized palisade guarding a red maple leaf, all surmounted by the Royal Crown.

"It's open only to CSIS employees," Berube said. "It's definitely not open to the public."

She added that prices are reasonable, and some employees buy souvenirs for family members or important visitors.

No CSIS gear currently appears in EBay shopping website.

CSIS was created in 1984, succeeding the RCMP's Security Service which conducted counter-espionage operations for Canada throughout most of the Cold War. The new agency inherited the files, the technology and many Mounties from the old Security Service.

The former Soviet spy service, the KGB, and the American CIA, have each run so-called "museums without doors," top-secret facilities open only to employees.

Some Canadian spy paraphernalia has been on exhibit at various times at the RCMP museum in Regina, the National Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa, and the Canadian War Museum, also in Ottawa.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript