The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 11:16:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let Freedom Ring  (Read 1160 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »

There seems to be a bit of confusion about what constitutes a contract regarding cell phones.  If you've followed it, perks and I clash about the definition frequently.  I wind up using a banana metaphor and he contends that even with a pre-paid phone you are still under just as much of a contract as with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc.  It's just a matter of contract duration (correct me if I'm wrong on that one perks).

So while driving home tonight I mused over why I get riled up when someone claims that I'm an x-hater or a y-fanboi, since I'm extremely passionate about being neither, or at least that's my intention.  By being accused of being an Apple hater it seems to imply that my comments about their business dealings are filtered through hater goggles that skew my otherwise reasonable logic (at least I hope I've got some reasonable logic to offer).

Mind you this is really more play than anything else.  But old buttons die hard Wink

So to clear one part up, I'm just as much of a "Verizon hater" as an "Apple hater," as my previous comments reveal (Verizon contract to get what I actually DO want, Android):

I'm not into cell contracts and a 2-year contract is disgusting IMO.

So then, why the diatribe?  Because I realized that NET10, Verison, AT&T, Virgin, Alltel, and Tracefone to name a few, would all be lying lawsuits waiting to happen if they were in any way binding anyone to a contract when their pre-paid phone offerings only exist BECAUSE they are in no way contractual in nature.  NET10 exists for no other reason than because it is NOT in any way a contract.  There's no other reason for its existence and they would be dead tomorrow if they were a contract in sheep's clothing.

Here's the lawsuit that will never happen: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=133261

NET10's main tag line is: "NO BILLS, NO CONTRACTS, NO OVERAGES, NO EVIL." http://www.net10.com/

Yes I ripped them off by recreating the tag line as: "No contracts, no captivity, no evil."  But since there was much confusion about what "Free Software" actually meant (free as in free speech, not as in free beer), I felt the need to clarify the difference between having a contract and not having a contract.

If my definition of not having a contract is still seen as "having a contract" then I'm going to call them "banana contracts"  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript