The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iso images as restore/backup on Win-based systems?  (Read 1482 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:45:58 PM »

Researching, I see some writeups about restoring the OS, but little about doing an iso of the full system; OS, apps, drivers, etc.  Possible?

Ideally, what I'd like to do is save multiple iso's on an external drive.  Got any pointers?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »

I will assume you don't mean to be able to run those iso's at a whim for my first answer.
TrueImage by Acronis.
Ghost by Symantec.
You are looking for a Bare Metal Backup.

If you are looking to be able to run those iso's on a whim...
You are talking virtualization.
so... VMware workstation.

I have used TrueImage most of my career. It will even backup a full system running a live SQL database (or at least a certain version will).

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:03 PM »

Thanks, NB. Will look at Acronis.
walrus
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »

Look up DAR if you're on *nix.

Oh, I just saw the thread title Cheesy

Try Hiren boot cd  and ubcd.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »

Take a look at Macrium Reflect Free.

It's a complete package, making the image and also the recovery iso. UI is simple enough that you can figure it out just by mousing over the icons --don't need no stinkin' instructions. The only thing extra you'll need is Unetbootin -also free- if you have any netbooks that boot from SD cards. So far, I've only used it to create recovery iso's and image whole drives. I've not yet tried to remount the image and drill down to a saved file. I have, however, used it to save/restore one laptop completely just to see if it worked. No problem with that.

I've imaged these machines so far (of 9 or 10 total, so a per-machine license would be a deal-breaker):

XP SP3 Quad Core desktop (recovery disk boots from CD/DVD drive)
XP SP3 laptop (recovery disk boots from CD/DVD drive)
XP SP3 laptop (recovery disk boots from CD/DVD drive)
XP SP3 dual core desktop (recovery disk boots from CD/DVD drive)
Vista dual core desktop (recovery disk boots from CD/DVD drive)
XP SP3 netbook (recovery disk boots from SD card)

I used the default compression of 'medium' so the disk images are still huge, so I'm writing them to an external drive.

The only disadvantage with Macrium Reflect is that VMware virtualization software apparently doesn't recognize the image if you want to import it as a virtual machine. VMware says it does recognize Acronis and Symantec.

This is a minor issue to me right now but virtualization does seem to be a hot topic. I guess virtualization is on the edge of my radar but down-n-dirty disk imaging is far more important so I'll press on with Macrium and worry about VM later.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:17:21 PM by rcjordan » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript