The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 06:10:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad alternatives  (Read 5025 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:36:02 AM »

http://www.networkworld.com/slideshows/2010/040510-tablet-rival-apple-ipad.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2010-04-06
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/59731?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2010-04-06

Interesting heat issue mentioned in the second link.  I wonder if perks or nuts have run into this? 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:21:06 AM »

Nope not at all, almost eeriliy cool for me. south beach in the direct sun though ... I wonder how hot the ambient temperature was ...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »

none here either. nice and cool

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:21:51 AM »

Well then, though anecdotal in nature, having two cool-running iPad reports from AZ says something - assuming you've left the data center since the weekend Wink

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:12:48 PM »

lol not been there at all (knock wood).

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:28:07 PM »

Most funny is the comments on the article  ROFLMAO
I had the most bizarre experience at the Stoneridge Mall Apple store in Pleasanton, CA last Saturday. As I passed by the store, I noticed two very, very long lines out the door extending into the mall, one was for iPad purchases, the other for iPad reservations. Inside the store, the staff was cheering loudly echoing sound through the mall when shoppers purchased or reserved iPads. The store had created the perception that buying an iPad was the greatest achievement anyone could command in life and definitely the best thing that could ever happen to them.

It is not so much that apple is so good, but the competition sucks so bad  ROFLMAO
Make a fuking touch screen that works properly. Actually just find out which supplier apple uses, then use that touch screen.
Maybe hire sales staff that is not totally retarded. Maybe give some sort of customer service.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »

its a little more than the hardware being right, but you are a bit correct. Apple is not breaking any ground of what can be "achieved", but they are in the sense of what can be done "well" for the average consumer. The expectation most people have with computers is, "this will be fun AND this will make me want to throw it out the window". Apple is trying to achieve the first without the second. I think they do a pretty good job of that. Not perfectly, but closer than most.

And yes, the "yea!!!!! you know how to walk and use your credit card!!!" is a bit much...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 11:53:41 PM »

Actually the thought that it's just a touch screen blah blah is silly. I've been authoring software for more than 33 years now. What it takes to put together something of this magnitude, with the kind of interface ease and "Action inevitability" is barely imagineable. Mind boggling. There's no other entity that has pulled off the entire package as Apple has. It's a tour de force.

All that said, the walk of fanboi is way, way over the top IMO. It's like when they say you won at an auction LOL. I am hoping you punched some nuts as you departed, NBs.   

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:08:39 AM »

Make a fuking touch screen that works properly. Actually just find out which supplier apple uses, then use that touch screen.

Actually, Apple's touch screen technology is their own, and I don't think anybody else has access to it.  There are other companies using capacitive touch technology, of course, but Apple's technology has some unique (and well-patented) advantages that make for a better user experience.  And it looks like they are prepared to defend their technology in the courts.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:15:31 AM »

Actually, Apple's touch screen technology is their own, and I don't think anybody else has access to it.  There are other companies using capacitive touch technology, of course, but Apple's technology has some unique (and well-patented) advantages that make for a better user experience.  And it looks like they are prepared to defend their technology in the courts.

You could still call the fulfillment house(s) they use and make your own knockoff. China doesn't care.

hai
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »

"The massive manufacturing complex in the South China city of Longhua resembles an industrial fortress. To enter the facility, workers swipe security cards at the gate. Guards check the occupants of each vehicle with fingerprint recognition scanners."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61G3XA20100217

How big is this complex? I read an article somewhere that said a consultant showed up for an appointment but arrived at the wrong entry gate. They told him to go over to the next gate. It took him 30 minutes. By car.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »

The rank-and-file within the compound have little reason to venture outside.

ROFLMAO

Yet they have compelling reasons to remain inside, like the machine gun at the gate  Mobster

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »

Don't know if this is the same factory complex. But here's a tour. Let's start in the middle with the dorms...

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-from-inside-chinas-gadget-factories-2009-7#inside-chinas-gadget-factories-6
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »

They all look the same.  At least in an American prison you can eventually get out on good behavior  ROFLMAO

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

Actually the thought that it's just a touch screen blah blah is silly. I've been authoring software for more than 33 years now. What it takes to put together something of this magnitude, with the kind of interface ease and "Action inevitability" is barely imagineable. Mind boggling. There's no other entity that has pulled off the entire package as Apple has. It's a tour de force.
I heard this song and dance before. Reminds me of when i made my first comercial program 10+ years ago. "Professional" company said it would take them 6 month with 6 programmers, they wanted $50K upfront. isthisthingon posted the article about Continous Intergration. I used that methology except it did not have a name back then. I realized that the biggest problem was how to store data in mysql DB. Traditional methods with the rows and colums do not work too hot with CI. In a nutshell i made my own "Object Relational Manager" that way as I added more fields to the tables, the manager could add and delete fields and rebuild the tables. At the time when i showed what i had done to a DB "expert" it was all wrong. I was able to get a POC ready in 3 weeks. And after 3 more weeks with users testing program, it was fully functional.

Problem is most companies are run by "bean counters" who might be good accountants, but have no idea about operations. Initially when they take over a tech company they increase profits greatly because they cut out things like research etc.

Innovation in western companies is dead. Instead of thinking up new ideas, much easier and safer to follow someone else. There are tons of chinese smartphones out there. 99% of them are for the chinese market. I have a few chinese friends who are in the import/export buisness. When they go to mainland china they bring back some POS smartphone. Biggie right now is smartphone with a TV in it. The smartphones they make right now are pretty shitty Smiley, but for $100-150 what do u expect. Probably will be the same story as the car industry. First jap cars where POS, but the japs kept on plugging at it. Now jap cars kik american car ass.

Americans have been sold out. In Asia there is not copyright/patents (legally there is, but they are not enforced). So instead of making something new, it is much more profitable to sue each other. Screw inventing a new device, lets just go sue ________ and parasite off them.

Don't know if this is the same factory complex. But here's a tour. Let's start in the middle with the dorms...

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-from-inside-chinas-gadget-factories-2009-7#inside-chinas-gadget-factories-6
In fairness by developing country standards, very high wages ($220 per month) and it also includes room and board.
Wages are cheaper in China compared to PH, but $250 a month is what u might pay for a com sci graduate, while an assembly line worker who requires no educational skills can make the same wage.

$220 a month goes a long way in china. Also that is take home way where the employees do not have to pay for lodging or food (this is implied since it saids workers are fined if they do not finish their rice. For some of the workers this could be a cultural thing.)

Many filipinos work in cellphone factories in Taiwan or even mainland china as OFW and the ones i have talked to said it is very good work.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript