The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 02:39:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HTML5 video vs. Flash  (Read 1074 times)
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:27:37 AM »

I don't know if anybody here has paid attention to this "battle" between HTML5 video and Flash video. Anyway, the thing is that HTML5 video tag will replace flash video with browser built-in video player but the problem is that they haven't decided on format yet. It's gonna be either Ogg or H264. I'm voting for Ogg because H264 has licensing fees and that might be a problem for some browser vendors.

Some people are also saying that Flash has now about 99% coverage and only about 31% of visitors have browsers that support HTML5 video. But according to this article with proper fallback player, we can reach over 95% with HTML5.

Real kicker here is that I have always disliked java applets because they are slow, weird and java. But the article I linked recommends Cortado Java applet as fallback video player. I tried it and fuck me running, it actually takes less CPU to run than YouTube's flash player. I get about 40% CPU with this demo clip and YouTube gives me about 68% CPU on average. This was tested on Firefox because everything sucks in Firefox so if Firefox can perform, then everything else can too.

I must say that I'm thinking about doing HTML5 video with Cortado fallback from now. I still haven't checked that what controls you can do with Cortado, does it work with streaming well and so on but I surely hope that it's good enough. No more flash, yay!

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
walrus
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 08:12:26 AM »

Now try to get youtube to convert all its videos to ogg without losing any quality Smiley
I know ogg (in fact the theora codec) is being marketed as better/extensible compared to h264(AVC) but I've never watched any video with it and hell.. h264 is good enough for me. Yes, I know, licensing is bad, but everyone listens to mp3s - and people are saying vorbis or whatever is better.

The only thing I absolutely LOVE from the xiph.org foundation is FLAC, and that is catching on - just giggle: the quality music project  - just the four initials, no spaces.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:04:39 AM by walrus » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript