The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:08:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: HTC EVO 4G - up to 10X the download speed of 3G  (Read 3154 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/192642/htc_evo_4g_better_than_the_nexus_one.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

Looks nice Grin  Not gonna buy one, but looks real nice.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »

sprint is starting to advertise their 4G net pretty hard now too. AT&T is claiming LTE. I wonder how long, really, it's going to take for us to get there?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »

Who knows.  But 10 times is getting into the realm of really desirable hand held browsing.

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 01:23:39 AM »

What kind of speeds are you all getting at 3g?

im pulling down 100kbps steady and consistently..
havent seen to much higher than that... and uploads
seemed to be capped at 20kbps.

ten times higher would equal it with mid tier cox hi speed wouldnt it?

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:34:39 AM »

Real throughput is always hard to pin down.  But I'd put 10x at around entry level cable (1.5 Mbps).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:36:15 AM by isthisthingon » Logged

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:43:05 AM »

We have 4G here already but it seems for some idiotic reason nobody has those 4G dongles or mobilephones for sale Smiley

iPad's 3G is starting to look lame Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »

4g is actually the reason I could give 2 shits about ipad 3g. I just want the wifi version, and then could have a mobile hotspot if I wanted, 3g now, 4g later.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 01:23:14 PM »

4g is actually the reason I could give 2 shits about ipad 3g. I just want the wifi version, and then could have a mobile hotspot if I wanted, 3g now, 4g later.
Here in the north we don't have wifispots everywhere but we do have quite good 3G network. So if you truly want to access web everywhere, you don't want only wifi iPad Smiley

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 02:32:22 PM »

Here in the north we don't have wifispots everywhere but we do have quite good 3G network. So if you truly want to access web everywhere, you don't want only wifi iPad Smiley

Here in the US we work where there is a wifi hotspot and then we go home, where we have our own wifi hotspots.  In between our primary two functions in life (work/family or home) we visit the mall where there is also a wifi spot to keep us properly distracted from anything remotely real in life.  Then perhaps we go out to see a movie where cell phones and iPads have to be turned off. 

Life in America 101.  Oh yeah, I forgot the tailgate party and peak moments enjoying NASCAR races.  Though I'd keep my iPad far away from those events lest the natives become fearful and start shooting.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »

no thats my point. Why would you want a 3g iPad? What if the day after you buy a 3g iPad you get kick ass 4g coverage in your area, for cheap. Guess what, you just overspent on your iPad.
You could get a mobile hotspot like the sprint overdrive, or the MiFi for verizon. Then you can use that for anything, your laptop, iPad, phone, whatever. Its a hotspot that you bring with you.
http://mobilehotspot.com/

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:28:59 PM »

Here in the US we work where there is a wifi hotspot and then we go home, where we have our own wifi hotspots.  In between our primary two functions in life (work/family or home) we visit the mall where there is also a wifi spot to keep us properly distracted from anything remotely real in life.  Then perhaps we go out to see a movie where cell phones and iPads have to be turned off. 

Life in America 101.  Oh yeah, I forgot the tailgate party and peak moments enjoying NASCAR races.  Though I'd keep my iPad far away from those events lest the natives become fearful and start shooting.
Yeah that's pretty much how I see you guys.. Drowning your insecurities by buying meaningless things Wink

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »

It takes an almost violent effort at times to remain real and true to yourself while constantly being drenched with sensory delights in some thought terminating cliche of an existence.  It's why sometimes I react to sleep-inducing oversimplifications and power structure justifications with an oddly passionate resistance.  Sometimes I feel like I'm in the wrong world but then I wake up and go to work here in Silicon Valley.  It's not perfect but it fucking rocks and I love it.

There's something tremendously inspiring about taking the baby bullet train to San Fran in under an hour while sitting next to engineers and key players of some of the top tech companies of the world.  I can't say the same thing for So. Cal though.

Goodnight cache.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:34:06 AM »

@ Nuts - my philosophy exactly. I already have a Sprint MiFi, gonna get a Verizon. The deal is that with the mobile hot spots up to 5 can be connected at once - in other words, wifey, me and the kids are all on at the same time. Slower when we're all there? Sure. But worth it because the price is reasonable and I can select the provider I want to hate at any given moment.

Seriously, new new VOIP services combined with a MiFi are starting to look really damn good ... binding a "phone" (match, mobile device) to *any* cell service is starting to look lame.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 12:05:08 PM »

Though I think we'll end up going with US Cellular and their HTC smartphone for sheer convenience, I am *almost* swayed to go Sprint mifi + ipod Touch instead.  I would, except it's YAD to haul around.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 02:06:04 PM »

hardwire it into your car Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript