The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:05:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Android hit the big time in the smartphone OS market  (Read 1752 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/051110-android-smartphone.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2010-05-11

Nice article.  I realize Android is decidedly unpopular here for various reasons, but I like it so far (playing with Eclipse/Android emulator for starters).  And remember to compare Apples to Apples: it's an OS, not a phone/OS combo.  Therefore it is completely valid to compare it to iPhone OS and WinMobile - even though iPhone OS lives only within its own walled garden 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »

http://omnia.samsungmobile.com/#/gate/omnia2

Samsung Onmnia 2
Runs windoze
1/2 price
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »

And remember to compare Apples to Apples: it's an OS, not a phone/OS combo.  Therefore it is completely valid to compare it to iPhone OS and WinMobile - even though iPhone OS lives only within its own walled garden 
Totally valid to compare the qualities of the different OSs on their own merits. In fact, the only real way to do it. But to compare total sales of phones running on Android against iPhones is just wishful thing for the Android community. One phone with only 3 variations running on a single carrier, against many manufacturers running different phones, deployments of android (including look, feel and capabilities) on all carriers, is not exactly apples-for-apples (no pun intended). 

World wide, iPhone kicks the hello out of Android still and against any one particular phone, really does the job. The real point of Android (to me) is that it gives a lot of companies that have no frickin' idea how to build an interface trap set, but are willing to invest in hardware, a chance to give it a go. Android is very significant and should not be unpopular here for any reason. But some of these articles are like comparing a Mac against Windows. Silly.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if someday iPhone OS was open sourced so the whole world could learn from it, improve on it and everybody could benefit from it?  Hell I'd dive deep into Objective C in a heartbeat if Apple did this.  I also know quite a desirable contingent of tech wizards that would do the same.  No kidding - the past would fade instantly if this happened.  That would be great Smiley

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:30:17 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if someday iPhone OS was open sourced so the whole world could learn from it, improve on it and everybody could benefit from it?  Hell I'd dive deep into Objective C in a heartbeat if Apple did this.  I also know quite a desirable contingent of tech wizards that would do the same.  No kidding - the past would fade instantly if this happened.  That would be great Smiley
What's the big deal? I know this might sound as sarcastic or dumb question but really, what's the big deal? I see nothing very complicated in iPhone that couldn't be coded by talented individuals. So if there's something I miss, please do tell me Smiley

I think the question is more like philosophical one. Android is great example. It's cold, lifeless carbon copy of iPhone OS and you can feel it. Now what makes this difference? Why are people tripping over themselves to get the latest Apple gadget which doesn't technically outdo it's competition? Why are people so fanatic about Apple? You can't honestly believe that it's just Jobs reality distortion field or that people are just [insert opinion] for being Apple fans?

I think I know the answer but do you? Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if someday iPhone OS was open sourced so the whole world could learn from it, improve on it...

Well, yes and no. Yes because lots of people would learn. No because the whole point of the platform is the rigidly consistent experience. It's a great portion of the reason why many people purchase it. If Apple does what you say it is no different than Android and then carries the same potential for fragmentation that Android is already seeing.  

IMO that's what Android is for. There's an open source offering and a closed (palm and win mobile excluded for this response). You can do whatever you choose. Buy a phone from HTC that is their interpretation of what a smart phone based on android should be. Buy an iPhone. who cares? In either case you're making concessions: Droid is just simply not as cool as an iPhone, it doesn't have the apps (it does have a lot of cool apps, but not nearly the volume or breadth of the the iPhone) and doesn't have the cache that Apple enjoys and is important to some. apple has a great product, lots of apps and a walled garden based on a closed source OS. Take your pick, it's up to you.

I love it. Since Android based phones are clearly available to more people on more platforms than Apple, it is unarguable that Apple is single handily decreasing the capability for people to get to net and the world of information (as you have). Apple is a brilliant option, but only an option. With the Apple cool in your pocket you sacrifice some things. Just as you do with a Droid. It's about what you are willing to concede.    
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:35:09 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript