The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 06:02:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: History of Cloud Outages  (Read 1323 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »

I just love this inflammatory language: "the pitfalls of putting your faith in the cloud."  In fairness, Monoposoft deserves the pitfall award since their recent outage was accompanied by permanent data loss Shocked  Heads should roll for something like that. 

"Users of T-Mobile's Sidekick devices are livid that the cloud service they rely on, owned by Microsoft, has had such a catastrophic failure that they could have lost all of their data for good. This includes contacts, photos, texts. Some Sidekick users were so incensed they threatened a lawsuit. "

We don't neeeed no stiiinking backups - D'oh! - Need Help - yay us! -

Monoposoft aside, the list is unbelievably impressive IMO.  They had to go back to summer '08 to find the last Amazon S3 outage which lasted 7-8 hours.  Most are 1-4 hours and only once in a year or longer.  But sizzle sells.  Might as well draw a shark fin on top of a cloud to make the point Roll Eyes

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/101209-sidekick-cloud-computing-outages-short-history.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2009-10-12

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »

sidekick people seem to have some kind of big problem every year.
Figures, considering its only famous people and idiots that use that turd

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »

I was a big fan of the old DOS TSR (terminate and stay resident) Sidekick editor.  Pressing Shift+Shift brought it up and the color scheme was nice.  It did have some memory issues though but back then what didn't?  Hmm... I wonder if swapping RAM to a 5 1/4" floppy would cause a noticeable performance hit??  Sarcasm

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:32:10 PM »

I do better with 3.5" - read time is better.

The backup silliness seems to have hit the Mac community as well of late. There's strange bug going around - one that's pretty nasty. No one is really certain how to duplicate it, but if you allow a guest login (all Snow Leopard), and login as the guest and then back as (you) in some kind of succession, your real account will get completely wiped. Completely. It's a simple fix, don't allow guest logins on your machine - but you should see the threads at the Apple forums: "I can't believe this ... what's wrong with Apple? I've got years ... YEARS of files that are now completely gone with out any backups ... just how stupid are they?"  Roll Eyes

Forgot about that old editor ... didn't we write most of Prospect using that?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript