The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:09:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hiring help  (Read 3441 times)
craw
Journeyman

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2008, 03:23:44 PM »

Hey all, what are you guys views of rentacoder, scriptlance, guru etc,
Where would I start If i needed a program made where I'm not sure exactly which language or how the program is made...
lol  ROFLMAO 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:58:22 PM by craw » Logged
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 03:44:09 PM »

what do u want done ?
how much are u willing to pay ?
craw
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »

ty nop, messages sent
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »

im am a professional programmer, and frankly i have no idea how the hell i would hire a freelance coder. lol

we are an impossible breed. Some of us are highly skilled and cost alot, some are skilled and cheap, some suck and cost alot, some suck and are cheap. There is no way to know ahead of time it seems...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
craw
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 05:39:15 PM »

yea.. im no programmer( I copy and make due for my own needs ).. but i admire those of you who can  Nerd
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 05:52:55 PM by craw » Logged
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 06:12:24 PM »

There are some here that could code for you craw, and do an outstanding job.  The question is....do they have time, and how dear would the price tag be?

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »

I've hired many, and recently even have had to interview a few.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough the need for a spec to go by.

Now since you are not a programmer, you'll NOT want to tell them much about *how* you want something done. It is both fair and prudent to demand a certain language so you can be certain to be able to purchase help later. PHP is an excellent choice. If a database is required, use MySQL.

But since you cannot define much more than that, you'll want a gorgeously clear storyboard of what you want coded. With as much detail as you can muster - even copy and pasting from example sites to make your point clear. Make the pages of your storyboard look just *exactly* the way you want your program written - at least as much as you can. If you cannot even do that, then you'll want to take this in three steps.

First: Find anyone you can trust to work with on an essential outline of what your app should do. This person should be strong enough to help you with what can be done, what can't be done and what shouldn't be done. Decide if you want it to run on Windows, or Linux, or the Mac, or a web application.

Second: purchase someone to create your storyboard. This should be a working relationship until you have exactly what you want your program to do. "Walk" the program ie., imagine pressing each button... do you have a page in your story board to show you what happens when that button is pressed? You should be able to "see" the entire program running in your head and storyboard before you have anything written.

Third: Get AT LEAST 3 quotes for it - I'd personally not go with less than 5. You may post some highlights here if you want help. The quotes should be human readable and describe things in such a way that you feel comfortable enough to gamble your hard earned cash on someone you have no experience of, building something that you don't understand, via an agreement for a sum that you have no idea if it is actually worth it.

Good luck man.

Then again, there's "Teach yourself PHP in 24 hours" ...  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 06:33:07 PM »

First: Find anyone you can trust to work with on an essential outline of what your app should do. This person should be strong enough to help you with what can be done, what can't be done and what shouldn't be done. Decide if you want it to run on Windows, or Linux, or the Mac, or a web application.

Probably the most important part.
Most clients have no idea what they want thier program to do.
Besides something general like, will take care of billing systems etc.

craw
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »

ty ty and ty ty..  Applause
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript