The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:02:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google's stance on China shatters security inhibitions  (Read 2091 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:58:23 PM »

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/011410-google-stance-china.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2010-01-14

I call it like I see it.  This time it's a gigantic thank you to Google.  This rocks.  It's either courage or lack of business savvy but in any case  Applause

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:21:44 PM »

And, btw, guess which browser had the zero-day vulnerability that was exploited?

http://siblog.mcafee.com/cto/operation-%E2%80%9Caurora%E2%80%9D-hit-google-others/
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »

ROFLMAO  Gotta love IE.  Better yet, gotta love all things closed source for maximum personal security  Roll Eyes
It just kills me to hear people yap about privacy concerns, security, general trust issues with cloud computing, and on and on and somehow closed source is acceptable to them. 

The world will always have more time, energy and interest in the strength/weaknesses of software than any one company could possibly devote.  There's a sea of cyber supporters right there with the sea of cyber attackers who would find, report and rectify these issues before the 0-day problem ever hit the streets. 

Microsoft, on the other hand, eventually winds up charging us for their failure to find these issues in advance.  Meanwhile Microsoft refuses to open their key source code since the "theft" of their "intellectual property" would "harm" them so badly  Cry  Poor poor Microsoft  Sarcasm

Microsoft doesn't open up their source, in part, because we continue paying exorbitant fees to them for all of their padlocked products.  Of course there's another less mentioned possibility to this as well.  If they opened up their source the world would know exactly what that beast of a cash gobbling monster is really doing under the hood with our private lives.  If we even try to disassemble something to discover what they're doing with our personal data they can throw us in jail.  Oh yeah and did I mention that people who are "in the know" actually continue to support this?

Ahhhh.... it feels good to rage against the closed source machine!   

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »

For once I think Google did something that included balls. I just hope this wasn't only done because they needed more market share and positive pr. It's a brilliant marketing stunt you have to admit. Chinese crave for uncensored results and Google with their small ~20% marketshare now offers that.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »

LMFAO @ google has balls.

I hate stupid shit like this.
Country that executes most people per capita : USA
Country that has most people in jail per capita : USA
Country that supports totalitarian regimes, publically states that certain leaders should be assasinated : USA
Country that has in the past, and presently prosecuted people who belong to certain groups and organizations but have not broken any law : USA

The internet in China probably is much more free then in USA. The official policy on internet in China is you can publish anything as long as it is not critical of current regime. Again in china it is quite open. In USA on the other hand, policy was during Iraq war news was heavily censored. News media is not allowed broadcast negative news about the war. But on the other hand they claim to have a free press. For all intents and purposes USA has been under martial law since 911.

I am not saying that China is a perfect place etc. But go do a search on G. How many USA based sites have been removed from google because of censorship ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilling_Effects_%28group%29
Maybe when google stops censoring internet in USA i will be impressed.

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, `Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:29:35 AM »

LMFAO @ google has balls.
Well if you were just hacked by government sponsored team and you say fuck you, we are going to do something you are gonna absolutely hate.. I think equals to having some balls. How does US being fucked up country relates to this in anyway?

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 03:11:04 AM »

Basically there is a double standard working.
When china decides to censor the net, and google decided to cooperate for a while, it is a big issue.
And all google did was help censor.
Meanwhile Google is in bed with the CIA, google search results have been used as a means to prosecute people.
But i guess that is ok.

Anyway this article sums it up
Google's China Hypocrisy Ignores Deep CIA Connections
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article16486.html

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript