The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 06:40:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google's ad dictatorship expands with gaseous impunity  (Read 2524 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:19:03 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/182911/inside_googles_advertising_empire.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

Ever see that movie The Blob?  I work creepily close to Google headquarters these days and I have this irrational fear that their building is going to expand until it eats the whole city.  I'm not worried since they're not interested in cloud-based marketing companies  Undecided

First they came for the online stores, and I did not speak out—because I was not an online store;
Then they came for the data centers, and I did not speak out—because I was not a data center;
Then they came for the nerds, and I did not speak out—because I was away at a Star Trek convention;
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me, so shut up.

Yahoo, incidentally, announced an advertising partnership with Teracent earlier this year. There's no word yet how the Google acquisition could affect that relationship (though "badly" might be a logical guess).

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm  Huh?

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »

related:

One of my friends sent me this.  FF addon to nuke flash supercookies. Lock & load.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:30:58 PM »

Nice!  Thank you sir!!

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 01:44:24 PM »

Man, I took a look at all those flash cookies I was toting. Bastards.

<added>

From the addon page:

Some flash LSO-cookie properties in short...
- they are never expiring - staying on your computer for an unlimited time.
- by default they offer a storage of 100 KB (compare: Usual cookies 4 KB).
- browsers are not aware of those cookies, LSO's usually cannot be removed by browsers.
- via Flash they can access and store highly specific personal and technical information (system, user name, files,...).
- ability to send the stored information to the appropriate server, without user's permission.
- flash applications do not need to be visible
- there is no easy way to tell which flash-cookie sites are tracking you.
- shared folders allow cross-browser tracking, LSO's work in every flash-enabled application
- the company doesn't provide a user-friendly way to manage LSO's, in fact it's incredible cumbersome.
- many domains and tracking companies make extensive use of flash-cookies.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:53:59 PM by rcjordan » Logged
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »

Don't leave home without this URL:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

It is not well understood that Flash cookies are related to the flash subsystem, and not the browser - ie., if you browse something with a flash cookie in IE and then go browse it in FF you're still bagged, because both use the same Flash subsystem and cookies. It's insidious because there's no clear way to eliminate these cookies for the regular user. They are cross browser, utterly persistent, and *way* more capable of mischief than regular cookies.

You may guess why I know  Mobster

I have that URL as a bookmark and check all the time.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »

It's insidious because there's no clear way to eliminate these cookies for the regular user.

HTML 5.0 

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 02:41:39 PM »

I did the settings manager (3? 4?) years ago ...but on which machine? This one I think, but even with flash disabled and noscript running you drop your shields --or worse-- switch to IE on sites that need those to perform a transaction properly.  Which explains the namebrand cookies I had in there.

Now set to autonuke when I close FF. What's not to love about zero tolerance, eh?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »

HTML 5.0 

... won't have anything to do with it, if people still run the flash player. It's systemic to Flash, not the browsers, per se.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »

... won't have anything to do with it, if people still run the flash player. It's systemic to Flash, not the browsers, per se.

Very true.  But Flash won't even be needed after HTML 5.0 so eventually it should disappear forever.  We can only hope...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »

Oh I see where you're going ... I agree, but only if all the browsers commit to the CANVAS mechanism, and then all webmasters decide to dump their knowledge of flash and actionscript and rewrite everything they've done in a new language that will probably NOT be consistent ... sorry if I sound jaded and cynical about it, but I'm still dealing with inconsistencies with CSS across all the browsers FFS. I have SERIOUS doubts about the anytime-soon deployment of newfangled H5 componentry.  Undecided

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 04:32:04 PM »

sorry if I sound jaded and cynical about it, but I'm still dealing with inconsistencies with CSS across all the browsers FFS. I have SERIOUS doubts about the anytime-soon deployment of newfangled H5 componentry.

Yikes I totally forgot - Flex is built on ActionScript 3.0.  You're completely right on this.  In fact, based on the massive adoption rate of Flex in our industry it's probably staying around forever and ever

Here's a clip from the ActionScript 3.0 overview (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/articles/actionscript3_overview.html)

There are numerous products that generate content and applications targeted at the Flash Player runtime. Often these products incorporate support for ActionScript to add interactivity and behavior to their output. In the Adobe product family, professional designers and developers might use ActionScript within several tools and servers—such as Flash, Flex, and Flash Media Server—to create content and applications for Flash Player. The Flex product family, including the new Eclipse-based Flex Builder 2 IDE, will be the first product line to access the new capabilities of ActionScript 3.0.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript