The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 05:18:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google wave reminds me of the tsunami that recently destroyed Hawaii  (Read 2189 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »

http://googlewavedev.blogspot.com/2010/03/introducing-robots-api-v2-rise-of.html

It's frustrating and kurdt can say "I told you so" but damn if Google isn't long winded on cool promises and short on delivery 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 02:13:11 PM »

Agreed, what a cool idea though!

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »

@ kurdt and "I told you so..." what do you mean here? Perhaps I'm misreading ... but I thought from the article that these 'bots were rather specifically for managing your own waves and for creating automation systems. Although I still don't like them, I don't see this development letting (the macro "you") have more access to (me) ...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »

@ kurdt and "I told you so..." what do you mean here? Perhaps I'm misreading ... but I thought from the article that these 'bots were rather specifically for managing your own waves and for creating automation systems. Although I still don't like them, I don't see this development letting (the macro "you") have more access to (me) ...

Sorry - I was unclear on this.  I mean the fact that Google has been promising so much for so long and I'm still waiting for this "Wave" to topple over the collaboration management world.  They keep releasing promises faster than products. 

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »

Ah, gotcha. My bad.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:42:38 PM »

Sorry - I was unclear on this.  I mean the fact that Google has been promising so much for so long and I'm still waiting for this "Wave" to topple over the collaboration management world.  They keep releasing promises faster than products.
And all their products are incredibly boring. The more I have thought the comparison that Google is today's Microsoft, the more I think it's accurate. They are pushing into every market, release products that wouldn't survive without the brand and all the products are very boring and uninspired. I just can't see Google become a company that produces good products. They make money, a lot - it's a perfect money making machine, but that's all they are. Or let's say that their ONE product of 187 products is making huge amounts of money which supports the rest. If Google was to face downturn, I wonder how many products would get killed.

And let's face it, Google Wave is nothing more than chat channel with editable HTML messages - how unimpressed I am. There's so many things Google doesn't seem to get that I'm embarassed for them. If they really understood the core of Google Wave, they would have already made a ready-product. So there's two options here: They either are really fucking blind and can't see the forest from the trees OR they have tested it in the different environments and it didn't produce any additional value against traditional systems.

They have all the resources in the world and they produce shit. That is completely unforgivable in my eyes.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:48:46 AM »

>They have all the resources in the world and they produce shit. That is completely unforgivable in my eyes.

ROFLMAO

But we can't forget about the ever present and never acknowledged truth about how we westerners view real value - cash is king.  But I still think they've managed to rope in an amazing pile of tech-brains.  Why with so much horsepower and deep resources should any company fail to bring great things to the world...  Undecided

Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 04:42:47 AM »

Creativity, inspiration, and vision doesn't come with a Phd, I guess.

Which reminds me to ask, have you ever noticed that good ideas seem to come out of nowhere?

Often we get those good ideas when we are NOT thinking about the particular situation that needs it.

life is funny,
Bompa

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 09:36:36 AM »

I call that the subconscious.  But it sure seems like the ideas are literally inserted into our brains from somewhere else. 

Truth is stranger than fiction.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 11:43:47 AM »

There's actually studies that have linked subconscious decisions to be better than decisions that have been thought to pieces with "rational brain". I also believe that people are getting "more stupid" simply because our brain is been DDoSes all the time. It's pretty obvious when you start to read about our capabilities and then compare it to how average joe works. There's constantly interruptions from cellphones, emails, tweets, co-workers and what not. They all usually ask you something or ask you to do something. Either way it's bad because you either have to shift your focus to remember something or you'll get another task that eats your attention. I'm amazed how people have survived this long without adapting better. It's remarkable how much abuse a brain can take if it's not in physical form. I believe that unconscious mind process things better because it doesn't have constant input channels and it can't be interrupted by something. The problem is that I haven't found a way to ask for ETA for the decisions I sent there to be commented on...

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript