The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 11:50:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Wave is dead  (Read 2171 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/update-on-google-wave.html

Here's a shout out to kurdt - yes, you told me so Smiley

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »

Um, nuts ... Needs we collect and restore anything?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »

I will check.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:18:21 PM »

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/update-on-google-wave.html

Here's a shout out to kurdt - yes, you told me so Smiley
Hehe.. Yeah.. Google's inability to actually materialize anything finished is shocking but I guess that's the priviledge you get when your profits soar Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 02:10:13 AM »

I signed up for the Google Wave beta and played with it when it came out.  They made such a HUGE hoopla about it, like it was gonna change the world... but I just didn't get it.  I could see some situations where it might be moderately useful for folks working together on projects in different locations, for example, but I just didn't see any reason for most people to use it.  It may have been a technical tour de force, but what was the market?

Fast forward a year: I guess I was right, as was everyone else who didn't use it.  (Let me make that more clear:  everyone else, who didn't use it.)   ROFLMAO
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 11:31:49 AM »

It seems a similar fate has befallen SharePoint, though Microsoft would have us believe otherwise.  Back when I was deeply nestled in the dragon's anus, SharePoint was heralded as the future of everything relating to business communications.  The problem was the complexity, among other things.  But once you had the resources, time and understanding to "properly" implement an enterprise-wide SharePoint solution, well it's not that far of a leap to grow your own service oriented architecture that does everything else in the universe your business may want.

I'm personally not a fan of gmail's layout.  In fact the response thread organization is still confusing to me, even though I can easily see how it's laid out.  This was an original inspiration that Google had when they created Wave: that if digital communication was designed today it would look different than standard emails.  But I thought the cost savings incentive with Wave would price it into the global domination market that Microsoft targeted with SharePoint, probably because I assumed this market existed.  Shows ya what anecdotal evidence can do.  But perhaps the gear-head ideas about how people all want to communicate are more a reflection of their own propellers than our desires  Undecided

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 04:33:12 AM »

Why invent something new when XMPP protocol does exactly what google wave was designed to do and more.
XMPP is more then a messanging protocol, it is a 2 way communication bridge that can imbed widgets, html etc.

Again XMPP does not get all of the "buzz" that wave does but it is gaining ground rapidly.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »

Or 0mq: http://www.zeromq.org/

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but zeromq is "socket" level.
So it is like TCP
While XMPP is more like HTTP which is a layer above.
But XMPP could run ontop of zeromq.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 08:19:21 PM »

Yes exactly, though 0mq looks easy enough to use that with a little wrapper work you could make it do whatever you wanted to.  The location agnostic scaling possibilities with 0mq are very interesting.  This type of approach could nail the multi-threading coffin shut, since you don't need to have such complicated, central management of resources.  Simply subscribe workers to task suppliers, on the current CPU, in another box or across the Internet, and tune the distribution.

The demo on the site is worth watching 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript