The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 06:31:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google to launch Android powered gPad  (Read 3157 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/google-will-launch-android-powered-gpad

If they actually brand this thing the gPad I'd laugh.  Of course anything with Android is more exciting than anything proprietary, but that goes without saying.  Who wants closed source solutions these days anyway?   ROFLMAO

But FFS, be the g in originality for a change.  Then again, the G could also stand for generic.  That has a nice ring to it "Generic."  Ahhhhh so soothing Wink  Kidding aside, generics are wildly successful in numerous industries.  One of the only things that enables price gougers in certain industries to continue this practice is artificially imposed mini-monopolies.  Forget "compare to the ingredients in the leading brand!"  NyQuil brand for me baby.  May the acetaminophen and all the beer take my liver out for some fresh air.

But what about "Google puts the G in Generic"  Huh?  Genius!  Grin

It's cheaper, open source, and good enough.  Secret sauce to a successful generic game plan.  Microsoft is well aware of the riches and power that awaits those who find the "good enough yet far cheaper" market.  Google went directly after the iPhone and now they are going directly after the iPad.  Apple leverages their command of cool then Google gives you cool with more features for less.  It's a hell of a lot easier to be in the G shoes in this game than the A, though we have no idea how far the masters of marketing can ride their wave of "top technology choice" (cuz we said so) for those with enough $ to play.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »

I know two people who bought Android-based smartphones (not a representative sample, for sure, but it's all I've got.)  Both sold their Android phones and bought iPhones within 60 days of their original purchase.

Apple has a supreme advantage over every other player.  They're the only vendor who controls both the hardware and the software.   The lack of control over both pieces is why Windows is still a more difficult to use and configure OS, and why the user experience varies somewhat from OEM to OEM.  I fear the same will be true of Android-based machines.  In an effort to differentiate their products, different OEMs will tweak the hardware and the OS in various ways that will simply cause confusion for users.

Maybe I'm way off-base, I'd actually love to be proven wrong.  I'm sure a "gPad" (ugh) will sell, but I'll bet the sales will pale in comparison to Apple.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »

It's cheaper, open source, and good enough.  Secret sauce to a successful generic game plan.  Microsoft is well aware of the riches and power that awaits those who find the "good enough yet far cheaper" market.  Google went directly after the iPhone and now they are going directly after the iPad.  Apple leverages their command of cool then Google gives you cool with more features for less.  It's a hell of a lot easier to be in the G shoes in this game than the A, though we have no idea how far the masters of marketing can ride their wave of "top technology choice" (cuz we said so) for those with enough $ to play.
Well it also depends on what you want your company to be. Google seems to be surprisingly happy to be your very own do no evil copymachine that produces their own version of everything without adding very much (except if it has to do with faster components etc.). Apple in the other hand wouldn't release products like Google, Steve Jobs would probably shoot himself before launching something like a phone that kinda works without customer support.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »

>They're the only vendor who controls both the hardware and the software

True.  Must be a good thing no Huh?

Apple in the other hand wouldn't release products like Google (ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO), Steve Jobs would probably shoot himself before launching something like a phone that kinda works without customer support. (ROFLMAO)

Totally!  Sarcasm

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/08/05/steve_jobs_confesses_to_poorly_planned_mobileme_launch.html

Steve Jobs confesses to poorly planned MobileMe launch

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is admitting that his firm bit off more than it could chew with last month's simultaneous product launches, which resulted in a MobileMe Internet service that was pushed out prematurely "and not up to Apple's standards."

In an email to employees on the matter Monday, seen by ArsTechnica, Jobs fessed up to launching MobileMe without adequate testing and offered suggestions on what could have been done differently. Instead of launching the "monolithic service" all at once, Apple could have rolled it out in pieces, first launching over-the-air iPhone syncing and then introducing each new web app one at a time, he said.

"It was a mistake to launch MobileMe at the same time as iPhone 3G, iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store," Jobs said. "We all had more than enough to do, and MobileMe could have been delayed without consequence."

Beyond reproach  ROFLMAO

Steve Jobs would probably shoot himself

Faith-based assumption.  He's a super-slick salesman with rapidly diminishing vision.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:52:18 PM »

That's actually pretty lame from Apple, didn't know that.

Steve Jobs would probably shoot himself

Faith-based assumption.  He's a super-slick salesman with rapidly diminishing vision.
Aren't we all? I agree about diminishing vision and I'm sad to say that my vision will diminish it even further. But if Apple continues to make products like iPad, I'll continue love them. I mean come on, no matter how much you hate Apple, Steve or any other part of their strategy or marketing, their products are fucking good. There's always some problems but overall their products are very good and they have unique user experience which is the thing that actually matters and not the hardware. Apple may not be as innovative as they used to be because the cycle of their time is coming to an end but they still have a lot to offer when it comes to producing personal computing devices.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:55:22 PM »

ITTO your unApple bias has become so malignant that I fear you have lost all objectivity.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:57:24 PM »

Your unApple bias has become so malignant that I fear you have lost all objectivity.
And it has got nothing to do with that you feed his bias with proApple comments? Wink

I don't believe in objectivity. If you study how neocortex works, you'll understand it's impossible. There are just people who are better than others in using words to disguise their subjectivity.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:24:21 PM »

There are just people who are better than others in using words to disguise their subjectivity.

Praise

Ding.  Stopped me in my tracks kurdt, thank you.  I only hope to better understand or be able to identify when my own subjectivity camouflage machine kicks into gear.  I completely acknowledge this reality and also strive to rid myself of as many self-imposed illusions as possible.  First red flag for me is the refusal to honestly self-evaluate.  If I sense this in myself I will stop drop and roll.  But damn well put sir.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 11:25:48 PM »

ITTO your unApple bias has become so malignant that I fear you have lost all objectivity.

How do you feel about Microsoft lately Huh?  Ready to re-hire them Huh?  ROFLMAO

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 11:36:47 PM »

And it has got nothing to do with that you feed his bias with proApple comments? Wink

I don't believe in objectivity. If you study how neocortex works, you'll understand it's impossible. There are just people who are better than others in using words to disguise their subjectivity.

Actually it doesn't.

I spend all day working with Unix, Linux, Solaris, Windows and Apple gear. I own clone gear, commodity gear and name brand proprietary gear with all of these OSs. I manage Palms, Crackberries, two Droids and iPhones. I deal with notebooks, "pads" and iPads, all day long. There are not many people in the world that have the breadth of clientele or personal collection of gear that i have, both as hobbies, business efforts and production equipment. I manage doctors, lawyers, restauranteurs, cleaning businesses, travel entities, not-for-profits and individuals. I have web services, automated business bots, back office fulfillment systems, inventory and marketing systems i write and maintain on Windows, Linux, Unix, Solaris and Apple gear.  

My assertions come from my experience interacting with my own gear and managing others with theirs, or whatever equipment i have recommended for them. As i said in the other thread ... Apple has earned my respect and cash, as well as my strong recommendation for a great many of my client's needs. Neocortex aside, i am about as flush with experience and honesty with myself as a guy can be when it comes to this stuff.

All that said, go apple. rah rah. we love you steve. /yawn/  ROFLMAO      

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:39:07 PM »

How do you feel about Microsoft lately Huh?  Ready to re-hire them Huh?  ROFLMAO

Not personally, I'm not a masochist. But if you knew how much I've authorized in MS spending this year alone you'd rethink that question. And actually they probably will get a pound or two of my personal flesh in the near future, because they are the best tool for that particular job. 

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »

So my 80GB iPod in my car absolves me from your previous accusation?   ROFLMAO

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 11:48:06 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Sometimes a guy just needs to feel sexy the music. You go man.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 01:15:36 AM »

Actually it doesn't.
Dude, I get you, I'm just fucking with you Smiley I have also somewhat wide knowledge of different choices and I have to use some of them so they are daily reminders how good Apple has got it after years of iteration. So we agree on so many levels that it's obvious that we are both fanbois who just prefer some product over another by great experiences it has given us while somebody else might have the opposite experience based on their circumstancies. So all in all you and I are pretty much taking the road our neocortex decides is best. The faster you realize that you can't fight the neocortex decisions and it's all about patterns, the sooner you start to realize that bypassing subjectivity is impossible without removing the basis of that decision. So when objectivity becomes concient effort, mind likes to take shortcuts and do a bit filtering before delivering you the answer. How much you think you filter is irrelevant, what is relevant is the way how to be truly objective. That works only by making those comparison column between all options with prefix option points for each answer. Well, you can't hold that in your head so unless you really, really need to get it right (like big investment for example), you won't take out the spreadsheet app to do it.

But like I said, I don't mind that you say the things about Apple because I see the things exactly the same way and your opinions don't appear as proApple to me as they don't for you either. To us those are just our experienced and that's all we have and know.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 02:26:02 PM »

So we agree on so many levels that it's obvious that we are both fanbois  Shocked 

No.  You are apparently an Apple fanboi and I am a self-described Salesforce fanboi but not perks!  He's no fanboi  Roll Eyes

Piles of denial  ROFLMAO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript