The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 09:12:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Public DNS  (Read 4094 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »

WTF??

"Today, as part of our ongoing effort to make the web faster, we're launching our own public DNS resolver called Google Public DNS, and we invite you to try it out."

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/introducing-google-public-dns.html
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »

Oh man. "What are people resolving? By focusing everything over to THEM rather than a user's local DNS and cache, they can get a whole 'nuther way of seeing where people are going.

That said...  Idea...  Devilish

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »

lol.

look how important I am, your DNS shows a billion requests for my website!

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 05:43:26 PM »

Zactly. And all my subdomains as well.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »

I think it's not for a domain, but for personal pc (instead of ISP's DNS server) or am I way off?

Anyways, they sure are nice guys there at Google, only thinking of us.

"The goal of Google Public DNS is to benefit users worldwide while also helping the tens of thousands of DNS resolvers improve their services, ultimately making the web faster for everyone."

Bompa
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:02:40 PM by Bompa » Logged

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 07:49:54 PM »

Right bomps. You would change your dns servers setting on your pc to use google.
And for average folks it will probably speed stuff up a bit.

But what we are hinting at is that google could develop a popularity metric based on how many dns lookups a domain gets from unique users in Xtimeframe. This is fucked up news to say the least. 99% good, 1% evil elephant in the room.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:44 PM »

Bomps the deal is that if your PC issues a request to them to resolve www.adomain.com, they will return the address and then be able to track how much traffic people are sending to particular nodes - not just domains, and not just from their search engines. Even if there's no web site at ftp.anothersite.com and they see the resolution request, they know something is there and how often it's being hit. If they see content there, they could get an idea of how significant the content at (that location) is. Suddenly, traffic from bookmarks, sites requested linked/accessed via facebook etc are back within their ability to watch.

Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 11:06:52 PM »

I got it now.

When I first read the blog entry, it didn't occur to me that users (the general public)
would flock to this, but, probably enough webmasters will to make it worthwhile adding
to their analytics and toolbar info.

We talked about this two years ago, Google wants a user-driven factor that they can
combined with PR, relevance, etc.

A few weeks ago, they announced that click thru data is being used in their News search, now this.
It seems they are in a hurry.  I wonder if Bing has something up their sleeve that's making G nervous.

Bomps

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:11:44 PM »

We talked about this two years ago, Google wants a user-driven factor that they can
combined with PR, relevance, etc.
Zactly. Their search service, although formidable, is losing ground to other social mechanisms and this can help attenuate that information loss.

A few weeks ago, they announced that click thru data is being used in their News search, now this.
It seems they are in a hurry.  I wonder if Bing has something up their sleeve that's making G nervous.
It does, doesn't it? That's an interesting way to put it... Think they'll get a just a titch more of my attention.

lamontagne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 12:14:52 AM »

I love new features. New features = new holes...

"Long time no see. I only pray the caliber of your questions has improved." - Kevin Smith
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 07:59:20 AM »

Eh, I'm guessing they didn't use Bind9, lamontagne.

ROFLMAO

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 09:43:30 AM »

bomps, your dead on about Bing i think.

MS has been going full force, and has some really interesting features.

The 1 little twist in marketing also i think has the ability to start hurting google.
Google is a Search Engine.
Bing is an Answer Engine.

Of course the reality is that bing is just a damn search engine for 99% but some features like the Travel stuff and shopping, and some new dashboard pages they are rolling out, they are starting to pull ahead. Google is still only making money off their ads. Bing is finding other revenue channels.
In the end, i will not be surprised if bing wins overall, though google may still be the searchengine winner because of name.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »

Also with Google DNS they can do censorship Smiley.
Get people using it, then make it so yahoo and bing lookups randomly fail lol.

The 1 little twist in marketing also i think has the ability to start hurting google.
Google is a Search Engine.
Bing is an Answer Engine.

In the end, i will not be surprised if bing wins overall, though google may still be the searchengine winner because of name.
I agree.

People do not want to search for shit, they want "Answers".
Prime example is yahoo mail vs gmail.
yahoo mail lost very few users (if any) to gmail.
90% of the users complained gmail is too complex to use etc.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »

Also with Google DNS they can do censorship Smiley.

You're right, good eye Nop.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 08:24:50 PM »

Don't pay any attention to me perks Smiley
I think i have been spending too much time reading articles like :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Wave
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment etc.

I do not think that google would redirect using thier DNS mis-typed domains to their own advertising or other such things Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript