The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:32:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google hypocrisy  (Read 1727 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:58:18 PM »

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/chrome-users-are-the-latest-casualty-in-googles-crusade-against-apple/2158?tag=mantle_skin;content

In their war against Apple, Google will support Flash which supports H.264 yet they stand on their "principles" and publicly withdraw direct support for H.264  Angry

Do no evil -  Vomit

It's a publicly traded money mission where evil and good have little influence.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:18:14 AM »

It is a pretty hysterical position. "We don't support closed formats" (which, in fairness, although H.264 is an open format, big users like Google have to pay a royalty to the h.264 licensing body and patent owners - I know Apple is one of them, but I don't know all the rest) ... yet they are all over Flash.

This is really a marketing blast over a We Don't Want To Pay The Royalty and oh btw Phuque Apple move I think.

Which is cool, and totally their right to do. But stupid, hypocritical and transparent really. And I guess that's what pisses me off about it more than anything: they should simply say, "We're a business, will be behave like a business and want to take care of ourselves like a business." Rather than being more like the right wing demagogues - say things loudly and long enough to try to make something the truth.

Also, they cannot have missed the fact that over 55% of web content has now moved away from Flash and has predominately settled on H.264 and HTML5 standards. Since they don't even really have a Chrome OS yet I have a hard time seeing how this actually increases their projection/penetration. Chrome as a browser is doing OK but certainly not IE or even FF yet, so IMO it would make much more sense for them to be the overly open, utterly usable no matter what browser.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »

Yep.  Hypocrisy's odor is proportional to the degree of denial therein.

BTW - Nice new emotes perks  Ass Kisser

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:21:57 PM »

Which is cool, and totally their right to do. But stupid, hypocritical and transparent really. And I guess that's what pisses me off about it more than anything: they should simply say, "We're a business, will be behave like a business and want to take care of ourselves like a business." Rather than being more like the right wing demagogues - say things loudly and long enough to try to make something the truth.
People like transparent,stupid and hypercritical ... seriously
Chrome has 10% market share. I love its "TOS". In order to optimize your browsing experience we will ........
Biggest piece of malware out there
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »

@Nop: No lie.

@ITTO: Thanks meng Smiley

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript