The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 06:56:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google chromebook announced. $20/mo for 3 years  (Read 2242 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »

http://4sp.in/5LF

For me the most interesting thing is the optimized citrix plugin for it.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:19:52 PM »

Hmm, it still seems that Google just doesn't get it. There's so much wrong with the whole COS concept but as always, Google seems to be doing any idea that might possibly lure more people to be tracked, targeted and sold.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »

@ Nuts: I agree, the most interesting thing is the receiver.

Since there's no way a machine with those specs is going to compete as an actual notebook, it's clearly designed to be an alternate connection method to the clouds, trying to pull mindshare and pocketbook away from items like the iPad. I think there're probably a whole buncha people that will be *way* more comfortable with a standard looking device and normal keyboard that clouds-up.

The most detrimental thing is the notion of a 3 year contract for the machine ... that's a killer in the day and age of a 'pad-per-year. Additionally, I see this as either being a ho-hum or cannibal to their other streams. Where Apple has done a nice job of niche segmentation, I'm unclear how this device is really a huge step away from Android tablets, other than the keyboard. All things being equal, I'd expect a Chrome interpreter on Android tabs in no time flat, muddying the waters between the need for a pad or a Chromebook.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »

agreed, but I am curious how it plays out. it does have the potential to change some of the game, though frankly i doubt it. I have a feeling of what is around the corner from both Apple and MS, due to piecing together some information out there, and some misdirection that seems to be going on. Could be wrong. Ironically though, if what I think is coming, actually does happen, then google's chromebook might actually be a device upon which those new services could be utilized. But unless it rocks, why would someone use it when there are better options for the same amount? Shall be an intriguing next few weeks.

the 3 year $20/mo deal is for education, and only valid on 10 or more units. An individual cant get that, at least through google channels it seems.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:59:58 PM »

Yes I think the ideas you've passed my way are exciting and reasonable probability. And they would create a VERY different atmosphere and ecosystem.

You're right - it's going to be damn interesting between now and the last day of the Apple WWDC.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:50:57 AM »

$30+ a month for enterprise sounds reasonable.
It seems they are gearing themselves for Enterprise. It would save big costs with help desk.
Depending on how they market it, could have big potential.
3 years contract is geared towards enterprise, capital depreciation of computer shit is 3 years ?
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 05:20:38 AM »

The Chromebook reminds me of web-tv LOL.  Convenient and inexpensive,
but too limited.  I did not see a monthly price, just $349 for the unit. You
mean after buying we have to pay monthly for a connection to their servers? 

Yeah right.

Bompa

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »

349 is for the lowest end one, and thats for consumers. No monthly fee.

The $20 monthly fee is for corporate and edu. No upfront cost.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript