The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:05:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 4876 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:46 AM »

I feel like a kid in a candy store.  Google Chrome 2.0 is very nice and fast.  Haven't had the time to read through all the legal stuff yet.  If I start getting direct marketing campaigns based on my searches I'll let you all know.

It's at google.com/chrome

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:05:31 AM »

i just cant do it.

I use a few plugs in FF that make my daily life WAY simpler.

also, i get creeped out that google is skimming my urls and I dont want them tracking my habits, since after all, i keep hitting some of my BH sites when I update code. Probably overthinking. and yes, I could use 2 browsers, FF for BH and crhome for normal stuff, but that just sounds like a pain in the ass.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »

Bug report - preview on the Cache is not working well in Chrome Sad

Any thoughts Perk?

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:10:23 AM »

FF for BH and crhome for normal stuff, but that just sounds like a pain in the ass.

I'm use to multiple browsers since I do proofing on FF and IE.  FF has a bug where you can't post a reply to a group in LinkedIn and IE works for that.  Not liking IE 8 at all though, not that the others were fun to use.  Bugs for days like page ugliness and it's slower than hell.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »

for site testing I have a bunch of VMs with each browser including down to IE6 and FF2 and safari and chrome.
But i just meant for daily use.

though this does make me wonder if maybe I should be doing my BH surfing and working inside a VM?
hm.....

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »

G Chrome is still way beta, so who knows. I don't like Google apps, but that's just because I'm paranoid. When the Mac version gets a little more stable, I'll put LittleSnitch and a sniffer on it and watch exactly what's happening. I have a bad feeling that it's going to be another major player, and all I can hope for is that they move even deeper towards W3C standards, so that we have less work todo when deploying a damn site.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:41:59 PM »

Chrome released 2.0 a few days ago (May 22'nd I think) but I do have privacy concerns about it.  When you say "way beta" are you referring to 2.0 beta or their actual release?

When the Mac version gets a little more stable, I'll put LittleSnitch and a sniffer on it and watch exactly what's happening.

I'd love to see those results.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »

i think he means beta, in the respect of being not really finished and thought out.
It may be stable, but not un-beta.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 09:46:21 PM »

The 'tubes seem to report that (Mac != stability) ~ Chrome. Way Beta meaning probably late alpha.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »

2.0 release seems pretty stable in Windows.  The 2.0 beta and earlier "releases" got spanked for being less than pre-alpha quality.  But the 2.0 actual release seems "ok" on the stability side and really nice on the performance.  All my work at Force.com has no bugs and everything snaps compared to FF (and of course IE).  In fact, Chrome has less visual bugs than IE 8 does.  Here's an example of the visual issues I'm referring to.  First is Firefox, then Google Chrome, and finally Internet Explorer 8.  The first two are rendered correctly and IE 8 has funky spacing:

Firefox:

Google Chrome:

Internet Deplorer 8:

D'oh!

svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:25:44 PM »

i've been using Chrome almost daily since google released it.  It is fast.  I like their UI a lot and I find it saves me a fair amount of time.  it still chokes up on javascript now and again.  their 'inspect element' & site-load monitor tools are pretty nice, but could be a lot nicer with some polishing.  I still use FF about half of the time, but all in all chrome ain't bad, and i wager that it is going to have a significant amount of marketshare sooner or later.

@perk
i'd like to see your experiment too =)  i'm sure ol googlie ain't letting all this free data just crumble into the aether you know ?

a ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's for.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 05:28:42 PM »

Indeed. But I'd bet that I'm already late to that party - certainly others have already looked at that angle and have ascertained that there's nothing other than the standard stuff going towards the server, or there'd be some serious disturbance in the force.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 06:38:55 AM »

Meh.

People don't make bones about sending Google data. Just watch all the crap going on when you're on a site that runs Google Analytics.

hai
svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »

hey VS,

I am going to try out your link service.  Got any suggestions for me?   =)

a ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's for.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »

People don't make bones about sending Google data. Just watch all the crap going on when you're on a site that runs Google Analytics.

Agree, if you're that free with it, who cares about much else?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript