The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 01:50:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google buys Etherpad  (Read 1290 times)
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2010, 12:09:58 AM »

This is somewhat old news but it still pisses me off: http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/google-acquires-appjet

People thought that Etherpad was superior in it's own way to Google Wave and said it loud and clear in the blogs when Wave was previewed. Then Google goes out and buys Etherpad. Now this is exactly the behavior I hate with these big corporations. If they can't compete, they use money to be the only player. Now Etherpad is "working with Wave team" a.k.a they have vanished into Google just like so many others. I just wish more innovative entrepreneurs weren't so eager to sell their business but I do understand that for some of them it's just business and not a passion.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:50:08 AM »

LOL you're closet-jealous.

If Google came and offered you a bag full of millions you'd take it in a skinny minute. Prolly not even ask what they intend to do with it.

Kurdt, I understand your philosophical love of the ancient (and inaccurate) pseudo-purity of the internet. But it's a place to make money now. That company did not make their shit so that could live in honorable poverty. They probably had "Get purchased by Google" written into their business plan before they even started.

I think you need to address the possibility that people LIKE being rich, and Google/MacroShaft/Apple etc can provide that. Companies are not unwillingly sucked up by Google. They sign on the dotted line then go play golf for the rest of their lives. It's the American dream man.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:20:27 PM »

If Google came and offered you a bag full of millions you'd take it in a skinny minute. Prolly not even ask what they intend to do with it.
With my current creation-in-progress.. naah, I don't think so. I would be more happy to see it burn than sell it to Google

Kurdt, I understand your philosophical love of the ancient (and inaccurate) pseudo-purity of the internet. But it's a place to make money now. That company did not make their shit so that could live in honorable poverty. They probably had "Get purchased by Google" written into their business plan before they even started.

I think you need to address the possibility that people LIKE being rich, and Google/MacroShaft/Apple etc can provide that. Companies are not unwillingly sucked up by Google. They sign on the dotted line then go play golf for the rest of their lives. It's the American dream man.
Yeah, that's why I said that I understand why they sold out. I have no problem with people selling their creations to other companies. It's not really my business. But I don't like the behavior model where corporations buy their competition because that's bad for the consumer. Microsoft is especially skillful at this.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript