The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 01:43:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google and China - my bad  (Read 1591 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:48:27 PM »

After reading an article posted by nop and then doing a little of my own research I have to recant my recent enthusiasm for what appeared at the time as Google taking a principled stance about, well about something at all.  Here's an article that shares this view as well: http://www.pcworld.com/article/187020/google_finally_translates_dont_be_evil_into_mandarin.html?tk=rss_news.

The sarcastic title is "Google Finally Translates 'Don't Be Evil' into Mandarin" and the PC World article is less scathing than the one posted by nop, but the sentiment is similar.  Well as my profile claims: Hope to the lions!!   ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:07:11 PM »

I suspect that I have a mild version of Asperger's Syndrome.  ROFLMAO
I also suspect that it is either genetic or caused by environmental factors in my family.
It was not until much latter in life, and after reading about how most human minds work that I came to this conclusion.

I when I was growing up, people seemed to be unable to think objectively. When for example when asked to give a personal evaluation of my self. I would as objectively give all my pros and cons. When a teacher etc would read that I would of course be diagnosised with low self esteme. But if anything I do not have that  ROFLMAO So basically I would just cause people like guidance councilors to become all confused. I suspect that many programmers/mathematicians have this so called syndrome. And that is why most "normal" people are poor programmers since they are unable to think objectively.

I am an admirer of USA,google,apple,M$ etc. I just find it comical when people view these things unobjectively.
China gets very bad PR, but because Philippines is one of the few asian allies that USA has, things are much "worse" here.

As I have stated a previously. Asian is a land of extreme contrasts. You might see a filipino, s/he speaks perfect english, university educated, extremely smart etc, they live in a huge mansion with 6 maids. On the other hand her cousin which comes from a poor part of the family, got married at 15, has 10+ kids, lives in a 1 room shanty etc.

You can go to a market which looks like something from biblical times, or 500 meters away a luxary mall which makes malls in Beverly Hills look like garbage.

The "problem" is the "masses". They often use technology, and have no idea how it works. Internet cafe is very cheap here. I think for the ones setup in the slums, as little as ~$0.25 per hour. So some american posts an article on a friendster blog. He finds an incident that happened, then blows it out of proportion. Somehow this article spreads virally. Communists (or some other fringe group) start telling the masses that they should rise up. Many of the people in the slums assume that things published on the internet have to be true. Within a few days you have massive riots. 1 million+ people. Manila is paralyzed, they block the roads. Cars,trucks, public transport is unable to move. The army has to be sent in to unblock the roads. There are tons of violent confrontations. Literally the army has to beat the people with sticks to unblock the roads. The people fight the army. 100s of innocent people can be killed. Not counting the other victoms since food and other vital products are unable to be delievered to the shops etc.

So now u see why censorship of the net is required. Again from most accounts on the net, the firewall in china was very weak. So anyone who has enough intelligence to get around it, is not going to be doing silly things like getting riled up by extremists etc.

Again i am not defending china, PH etc. But i am a pragmatist Smiley
In PH even in the last 6 years I have been here, things have changed a lot.
500K+ young people are now working for USA call centers.
Many of them have gone to USA for training. Again being exposed to americanos, they are finding out not all americanos are assholes  ROFLMAO
Now some filipinos are setting up thier own call centers. They are getting thier own US/EU clients.
These filipinos are the trendy filipino yuppies.
Call centers, and OFWs have in 1 year done more to fight communism (or what ever u want to call the marxist capitalists thugs Smiley) and improve living conditions,then all of the foriegn aide in the last 100 years.

Yah it sounds all dramatic when G takes on the big evil chinese commie empire. But how effective is it ?
It does more damage then good Smiley. It takes a while to fix things. And by tackling the problem head on, (i know people's intentions are good), you are playing right into the hands of the alphabet soup of extremists Smiley.

So anyway sorry to come across so harsh Smiley

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 10:28:51 PM »

So anyway sorry to come across so harsh

You can do better nop.  Try challenging my bullet-proof facade of American supremacy.  Say something about better bowling scores in the Philippines or perhaps how men in that region don't require ED meds.  My ego is waiting Wink

From ubuntu's default browser (ff):, ITTO.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 11:40:41 PM »

"peaceful events" Smiley

Another Black Nazarene devotee dies
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view/20100112-246791/Another-Black-Nazarene-devotee-dies

I like this headline best Smiley
Only 1 Black Nazarene death
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/237903/only-1-black-nazarene-death

Sad but comical is the relatives of the victoms.
Even though my husband was trappled to death. It has not deminished my faith in the Black Nazarene.
He was always drinking and womanizing. Now that he is gone, I have enough money to send my children to college Smiley

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 12:06:43 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

That's awesome Smiley  He's probably still drinking and womanizing in Heaven  Angel

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript