The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 01:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: galax tab an iphone on steriods  (Read 3967 times)
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2011, 04:19:20 AM »

Got a samsung galaxy tab. Still have not determined if the device is useful or not. It loks like a iphone 4 super sized. Basically it is exactly the same an android phone except 5x the size. I think that tablets might be useful. Just mot sure for what :-D
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 04:26:56 AM »

it makes a good pdf reader if anything Smiley not sure how you are to use the phone in it.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:02:14 AM »

Post a pic and some vids if you can.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »

Too lazy to post pics.
Go search on google for a pic of galaxy tab, and one for htc desire.
Device is intriguing but I am still doubting usefulness Smiley

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »

Not stock shots, thought maybe you'd have shots about what you're doing with it.

Just read yesterday that 16% of Galaxy purchasers are returning them. Not a good sign.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 06:08:27 PM »

Not stock shots, thought maybe you'd have shots about what you're doing with it.
Using it as a PDA with a larger screen Smiley
As a PDF viewer, I have a lot of PDF books, so I can stick them all on this device, and read them easier.
Even when I had an ipaq, being able to stick 200-400 books on it.
As a portable word processor. So I can update my blog etc.
I lose "paper" notes, so instead of using my HTC, I will most likely use my Galaxy to keep notes.
I play a stupid master of orion type clone game lol
My kid watches thomas the train on it from you tube. I am not sure why, but you tube seems to work better on android. I think google purposely makes it fuk up on apple devices Smiley

Just read yesterday that 16% of Galaxy purchasers are returning them. Not a good sign.
Apple has the advantage in this field, mainly due to placebo effect. 2 doctors, both have the same skills, do the same treatment. The doctor with the better reputation and personality, his patients will react 2x as much to the treatment.

Tablets as like a continuation of PDA. In Apple App store or Android market, how many of the apps are actually "useful".
Also it is changing slightly, but a lot of apps where just ports of their desktop partners.
It is like with the evolution of the laptop/desktop people had to figure out how to interact with it.
PDA (smart phones and tablets) IMHO are an evolution on the original palm pilot. Original palm pilot was nothing more then an personal electronic organizer.

The Galaxy is made by Samsung. For new TVs they make, there appears to be a way for the device to communicate with the TV wirelessly. Does that mean that the device could act as a remote control, a "movie" player, and an "home entertainment" center on the go Huh? Does the consumer want that Huh?

For me I got the device so I could check it out. Same reason why I got an iphone.
If they offer unlocked ipads here, I probably will get one of them.

Advantage of android for me is free programming tools, and open specs. But whether it is for iphone or android, these tools are geared towards an desktop/static environment.
But how do you program an portable device Huh? How should you deal with the problem of unreliable internet connections Huh?

I working on setting up a real estate company. I have to send guys out into the field. Would buying then android devices, and then being able to track their position and movements be useful Huh? Would it be better for them to take pictures of listed properties, and input info into the device Huh? That way I could monitor them from the comfort of my own home. So when one of them comes back 3 hours later, for a job that should have taken 1 hour. I can tell him, well I can see you stopped in at the "taxi hotel". So who where you banging. Do you have a new mistress ? Wink
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »

Apple has the advantage in this field, mainly due to placebo effect. 2 doctors, both have the same skills, do the same treatment. The doctor with the better reputation and personality, his patients will react 2x as much to the treatment.
Ooop, have to call bullshit on that one. Times are way too tough for people to be fooled like that. People don't like stuff they won't use it. The return rate on iPads is 2%. Sorry mate, but I reject that, given the shear volume of people that purchase this stuff, that the 14% difference are simply Apple-lulled into thinking that there stuff is better. The iPad is a better experience, top to bottom.

When Honeycomb is in large release we will see some difference. But even Google admits that the version of Android on that platform is shit.

Advantage of android for me is free programming tools, and open specs.
Um, the entire programming suite, IDE and API is available for you to download. For free. To sell in the Apple market it costs you $99. If you don't need to sell in the Apple marketplace (IE., you want to build an app for your real estate business) there is no restriction on what you do. Everything is available to you. Everything. You can't fork it into another project and/or resell, but that's it man.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »

Times are way too tough for people to be fooled like that.
BS perks. Economic times has nothing to do with it. In the Philippines for example, 10-20% of the average person's income is spent on cell phones and txting.
There are countless psych studies that show how people perceive things, is how useful they think they are.
This can be anything from packaging and cost of bottles of wine, to effectiveness of a "memory aide" drug (nothing beside a sugar pill, but it is effective Smiley )
If a product comes in good packaging it effects the user experience. If a product is too cheap people will thing the product is not as good.
This has all been scientifically proven. I can dig up the studies, and post them all here if you want.
The facts of the matter, because of the way people's brains are "wired", it is very easy to fool people.

Whether or not ipad is better then android has nothing to do with my argument.
Apple marketing is top notch. How a product is "packaged"/presented plays a very important part.
The only way to test, would be to take android and ipad products, and do a double blind study.
Make 4 groups. Leave some ipads same,label some as android. And do vice versa.

As you said in a previous post, and I hate to admit it, marketing is 95% of all products.
Apple (Steve Jobs) has done for the portable device, what Bill Gates has done for the PC.
He has taken if from palm pilot / ipaq, something only geeks use, to something 95% of the population is aware of.
"Fooling People" is not always a bad thing. It depends on what it is used for.
Slavery today is considered to be morally wrong. But until fairly recently it was commonly accepted that there was not problem with slavery.
This was fairly recently. The changing of people's perceptions/opinions of slavery was done by guys like "Steve Jobs".
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »

Whether or not ipad is better then android has nothing to do with my argument.
Then perhaps I misunderstood your Placebo Effect comment. My take on what you said is that they are equal, but because the iPad is Apple people are convinced it is "good." Which I find to be BS because the sales of iDevices is WAY WAY outside the reality distorted field of Apple fanbois ... it's into the hands of grandma and Mr. Windows who's never been a Mac guy before.

And I don't think it's BS to claim that economic times will put pressure on returns, and for a device to live up to its hype. If things don't work, they'll want their 5,6,7 hundred dollars back. Period. And Apple makes it easy.

I do think there's a different effect in play here though. Much like ITTO, I don't think you can just *give* someone an iPad and it will rock. The need for such a device was not in ITTO's current need set, and he found it clunky and, well, you can read through his stuff. I assert that most likely the same would be of an Android tablet, albeit perhaps even worse (unless an emotional component of It's Open Source came into play). ITTO lives his life with a mobile device already - the notebook and his life is there. He's got it *down*. The need for a tablet is attenuated, at most. So I think it is arguable that the people that have gone and purchased an iPad have done so because there's either a need for that niche of product OR they've never had a truly mobile lifestyle and they are now enjoying one. It is therefore arguable that a percentage of people trying an Android tablet have waited because they either A) hate Apple or B) wanted to pay less but in either case wanted to try a tablet. In which case, they'll discover that the tablet experience is not what it was hyped up to be and return it.

Conclusion: It is probable that Android purchasers would be more likely to return because they are bargain hunters or trying to have the experience W/O the Applecuffs. Because the Android tablets currently do not offer the same level of experience (holistically) that the iPad does, they will be returned more often or simply not used the same way. Samsung has already been quite frank that sell-in was in the 2MM unit zone (which is pretty big) but the sell-out (meaning distributor out to client) has been quite small.

Quite small, and a large return percentage? My sources say, "It sucks."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:24:40 PM by perkiset » Logged

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »

Then perhaps I misunderstood your Placebo Effect comment. My take on what you said is that they are equal, but because the iPad is Apple people are convinced it is "good." Which I find to be BS because the sales of iDevices is WAY WAY outside the reality distorted field of Apple fanbois ... it's into the hands of grandma and Mr. Windows who's never been a Mac guy before.
Honestly perks I do not know how much placebo effect plays. But it is significant.
Back in the day, I used to install linux onto public terminals in school. (strictly against school policy). I would move the windoze partician over.
Then install linux. Then with my handy boot disks I could get into it when ever I wanted.
Anyway I got caught using it. An instructor came along and said was are you working on. Then he said, wow that is a cool version of windows.
Anyway I told him it was a test beta release of up and coming Windows ME, and look how it had 4 desktops etc. He was impressed and wanted a copy.
But if I would have told him it was "linux" his mind set would have been its hard to use, it is for geeks etc.
Perception and expectation plays and important part.

Things like optical illusions and why people react to certain things intrigue me. I often like to say off hand things just to see how people react.
I notice with many optical illusions, I do not see them. Possibly because I might have mild aspergers, and my brain processes information differently.

Conclusion: It is probable that Android purchasers would be more likely to return because they are bargain hunters or trying to have the experience W/O the Applecuffs. Because the Android tablets currently do not offer the same level of experience (holistically) that the iPad does, they will be returned more often or simply not used the same way. Samsung has already been quite frank that sell-in was in the 2MM unit zone (which is pretty big) but the sell-out (meaning distributor out to client) has been quite small.
In USA it could be the bargain hunters. HTC and Samsung are cleaning up in emerging markets, Apple sales in the Philippines (and in asia in general) are dismal. I know where I bought me device (it is in a small place). They had 8 units, they sold them all out in a week.

Cultural difference. A good vacation in USA is "adventure,action, get away from the kids". In the Philippines, it is a time to get back with family. So during special times of the year, families will rent rest houses. The entire family goes there, including grandma and grandpa. For an entire week all people do is cook, eat, drink, gossip and play cards and mahjong. For most americans that would "suck".

I got the device to see what it does. I probably will get an ipad later. Mainly just to compare the 2, and to be in touch with what people are doing.
Personally i am partial to android. But I can see why iphones and even blackberry devices appeal to certain people.

I attempt to remain scientific on all things.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »

The entire family goes there, including grandma and grandpa. For an entire week all people do is cook, eat, drink, gossip and play cards and mahjong. For most americans that would "suck".
ROFLMAO Sounds pretty great, actually.

I got the device to see what it does. I probably will get an ipad later. Mainly just to compare the 2, and to be in touch with what people are doing.
Personally i am partial to android. But I can see why iphones and even blackberry devices appeal to certain people.

I attempt to remain scientific on all things.
As we all should my friend, and I enjoy that about you. Although I am clearly biased, I do as well because I want to know what my clients will be wanting ... and what's out there that's the best for the job. Don't go changin' Smiley

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 10:51:32 PM »

As we all should my friend, and I enjoy that about you. Although I am clearly biased, I do as well because I want to know what my clients will be wanting ... and what's out there that's the best for the job. Don't go changin' Smiley
We are all hypocrites.
Technically I am not sure if I am.
Someone asked my what i do. I was tired so I did not want to explain affiliate etc.
So I replied, I sell stuff on the internet. Next question was, what type of stuff.
Useless, over priced rubbish, that people do not need. i replied.
A little shocked the guy asked, how is that going ?
Very well thank you.

Sad part is that 99% of the time I am being honest, but yet people think I am joking.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript