The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 14, 2019, 06:05:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For when your browser sucks...  (Read 2147 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »

I've been getting more and more pissed off at Safari lately, as it's bombing, loading slowly etc. FireFox and Chrome didn't have the same issue ... until I saw a couple posts and tried something.

My home page has a Flash component on it. When I changed FF and Chrome to the same, they behaved poorly also.

I found a few threads that talk about simply uninstalling and reinstalling flash for a quick fix. Did it and I seem to be sorted. Save version of Flash, everything - except that it's a clean install. My version was probably originally 3 years old and just updated - and the Adobe updater often gives me troubles as well. But everything seems to be better now.

Just FYI, resume party.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »

Flash sucks.  It really does.  The sooner the industry moves away from it, the better so far as I'm concerned.  We need the functionality Flash provides, but preferably without the crashes, memory leaks that eat up all of your RAM and bring your system to a crawl, etc.

Adobe has had plenty of time to get it right and it doesn't seem to be a priority for them.  From my standpoint, they no longer deserve to make money from it.  If HTML5 or something else comes in and makes them irrelevant, you won't hear any crying from my corner.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »

Agree. HTML5 is a fine successor, lighter and tighter.
I'm starting to wonder just how much browser weirdness over the last couple years has been Flash.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:57:12 AM »

If yr browser crashed or locked up, it was probably flash, since the day flash was launched.
Something like 95% of browser crashes come from plugins. And 80% of those are due to flash.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript