The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 12:11:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For Those Wondering When Google Will Release a Programming Language  (Read 1943 times)
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2009, 07:10:52 AM »

Wonder no more!

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/infoworld/20091110/tc_infoworld/99864

hai
lamontagne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:15:16 AM »

http://code.google.com/p/go/issues/detail?id=9

"Long time no see. I only pray the caliber of your questions has improved." - Kevin Smith
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 08:59:47 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_%28game%29

I'll bet Go works well as the language underneath gigantic MapReduce clusters.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:22:46 AM »

i immediately thought of the original GO language when I saw that.
Google really should do some name checking. Its not like the language is used, but still.

and.
great, another fucking language...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 11:17:48 AM »

at least they will syphon off some of the python and ruby hipster language of the moment douches.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »

Oh for fuck sake yet another "Google innovation". I'm getting so sick of all these "Google services" that are basically half-assed products that would get laughed out of the internet if they didn't include the magic word Google.

What about if you would actually focus on completing previous projects and getting something done? Yeah, I know it's very convenient to have products in beta stage forever... you can always just say "it's in beta" when somebody dares to criticize.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »

They have many server-side innovations that just don't get the airtime others enjoy.  Just like M$, Apple, Google and even vs' buddies at our beloved Oracle; it's not the corporate nasties who deserve our respect, it's the genius visionaries that have mine 

As much as Jobs' business practices bug the crap out of me, I seriously respect his vision.  Google for all their corporately deserved hatred houses some of the most amazingly brilliant architects in the world.  I can't wait to hang out with them again at Dreamforce in December, along with Sun, Amazon, and more nix gurus than you could shake a stick at.  I only wish Apple and Microsoft would show with theirs Cry

Besides - I live right next to Google these days so I might wind up working there ROFLMAO

MapReduce: http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html

* mapreduce-osdi04.pdf (186.24 KB - downloaded 94 times.)

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 11:54:35 AM »

at least they will syphon off some of the python and ruby hipster language of the moment douches.

ROFLMAO Amen. Well said.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
lamontagne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »

Oh for fuck sake yet another "Google innovation". I'm getting so sick of all these "Google services" that are basically half-assed products that would get laughed out of the internet if they didn't include the magic word Google.

What about if you would actually focus on completing previous projects and getting something done? Yeah, I know it's very convenient to have products in beta stage forever... you can always just say "it's in beta" when somebody dares to criticize.

It's very rare that a company can sustain quality as they grow, and at some point they all fail. Do you think the original owners of McDonalds planned to eventually make complete shit food and profit from it based on quantity and not quality? Of course not. As the company grows, so must its product and its market value. Eventually they will be just another Walmart offering shitty stuff at low prices, and so comes in the new guys. The guys who think they can change the future of the world by making business fun (just as Google did)! It's all just the same shit over and over.

My point here is realize your time on earth is short, and realize that no matter what company you start or how much it makes, it will eventually fall and your legacy will be no more. So take what you can while you can and try to setup your business so it will not fail within your lifetime, and so it will leave enough money for your children to start whatever they wish to do in life. And explain this fact to your children so they will do the same for their own children.

Okay I went off topic. The "Go" name is bad, but does anyone remember the Adsense.com domain and what it said after adsense gained popularity? I grabbed a snippet from archive.org:

"AdSense Consulting is a fee based marketing, business consulting, and design firm serving clients nationwide in niche marketing in image, branding, and presentation, print ads and promotions, photography, web sites, and e-commerce. We combine sound marketing strategies with the professional execution to bring measurable results. We define and understand the why of every action before making any recommendations on the who, what, where, or how much to spend.

We would be happy to discuss your business and marketing needs and assist you in moving to the next level of success. Our web site has moved. Please click here for more information about our services.

If you think you can get rich quick placing other people's ads on your site or blog, please contact Google who has taken and used our business name without permission or compensation."

Now they are located on http://adsense2.com/ . Kind of sad what Google did to these little guys. I'm guessing they never really got much and google took them to court over the domain? If anybody knows about that I would be curious.

The language really just looks like python with C syntax. I don't see anything special with it and it could just be one of those 20% time projects that some engineer at Google works on.

"Long time no see. I only pray the caliber of your questions has improved." - Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript