The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:14:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox 3.6 is 15% faster than FF 3.5, then Chrome and *then* Safari?  (Read 1708 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2010, 02:51:58 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/187569/firefox_takes_a_15_speed_jump.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a38:g26:r18:c0.000114:b30007556:z0

So when did Safari become the fastest browser in the world?  Is this true?  I've done my own side-by-side performance comparisons and nothing comes close to Chrome, including Safari.  It's pretty understandable when plug-in enabled browsers like FF and IE run slower.

I'll go through this again, skipping IE entirely since I become violently ill when it consumes all of my loads into memory.  If Safari beats Chrome with heavy Javascript pages I'll be a very happy itto!  Chrome is faster than poop through a goose so this will be interesting.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:02:11 PM »

Personal experience is exactly this. My single-page JS web apps run significantly more snappy under Safari than Chrome.

Unscientific, but pretty clear to me. The JS engine in Safari just rocks. Tried Chrome quite a bit because I heard that it'd be faster, no joy.

In this case, Safari FTW.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:35:24 PM »

I'm totally psyched!  I love the look and feel of Safari but found Chrome to be faster specifically for Apex/Visualforce programming.  Safari (Windows version) was a little buggy as well but Chrome was more so. 

I'd love to have a browser default that I can keep around for a while!  I've been FF for a long time now and it's just not as sexy as Safari IMO.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:42:20 PM »

Comments are the best in that article: "Make sure you use the following extensions: a)Adblock Plus and b)NoScript." ... so in order to get Firefox fast you have to block everything else than HTML & CSS? Cheesy

I always thought that Chrome was the fastest because Google spends their time tweaking webkit & javascript engine to get even one reason why somebody would use their browser? I rarely use Firefox anymore. Somebody might remember me ranting about Firefox here while ago when I was still using it. Now it's Safari 4 for me and if for some reason I need Firebug, only then it's Firefox. But one thing I really like about Mozilla team is that they implement new stuff quite fast in Firefox betas like HTML5 FileAPI for example. I think there still isn't any other browser that supports it.. maybe I should fire tweet to Bruce Lawson to get Opera to support it Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:03 AM »

im chrome because of the extensions. the speed difference between chrome and safari is minimal, so its worth the trade to get extensions.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:31:11 PM »

Like everything, everyone "cheats" with thier benchmarks.
I use FF because of extensions.
walrus
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:00:17 AM »

Linux ff 3.6 spawned a lot of idiotic articles/comments.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15443/talling_firefox_3_6_one_more_reason_linux_isnt_ready_for_the_prime_time_mass_market

I mean.. there's a guy saying "windows does email better than linux".

The performance boost I'm getting with 3.6 is noticeable on linux, but I don't know about safari/chrome.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »

Preston should remove the webbing from between his fingers before trying to install anything and definitely before writing another article.  Holy stupid on steroids Batman.  The guy doesn't even realize that when you unzip a compressed file you wind up with a directory of files and no further instruction: 

How about on Linux --- specifically Unbuntu, the version most people see as the one best suited for mass use? Good luck, unless you are very familiar with the innards of the operating system. Looking to upgrade, I downloaded the proper file, then unpacked it. At that point, though, all I saw was a folder structure filled with files, and no install file, no hint, no advice on what to do next.

Then comes his revelation from a burning bush, probably the one flaming up from between his legs:

Mozilla offers advice on installing or upgrading to Linux, and it clearly says your best bet is to use a package manager. But when I checked the package manager on my version of Ubuntu, the upgrade to Firefox 3.6 wasn't yet available.

It's quite possible that an install for a particular OS isn't even built yet, or perhaps he just hasn't found it.  In any case, if you're installing in Linux you better be prepared to roll your sleeves up and make the project yourself, or at least have the cognitive capacity to double-friggin-click the readme file for further instructions that, unfortunately, you do in fact have to read to understand  ROFLMAO

What a tool face banana rape master douche stain.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript